MBP Display Freakout

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheCookie, Jul 18, 2008.

1. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

So I've had my MBP over a month, and after 36 cycles, my battery health was down to 97%. Decided it was time for a calibration.

Charged it all the way up, ran it all the way down around 11:30 PM last night. Let it sit for way more than the required 5 hours, until about 11:30 this morning. Sleep indicator was not flashing, so I knew it had worked.

Connected the battery cord, booted her up, and I saw what you see attached to this post.

A reboot later and everything seems fine--but should I be concerned?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      983.3 KB
      Views:
  2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Happened to me as well, a few weeks ago. I also rebooted and haven't had a problem since.

3. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I swear there is a post about something like this on a daily bases. When the hell is apple going to acknowledge this!

4. 7031 macrumors 6502

This is one of the issues caused by the Nvidia graphics card defect.

It's not Apple's fault, it's Nvidia's.

5. PDE macrumors 68020

It may very well be Nvidia's fault, but it is 100% Apple's responsibility.

6. 7031 macrumors 6502

True. Every other brand (except HP IIRC) has switched the GPUs in their laptops.

Why not Apple? Seriously, if this continues I'm buying a PC just so I can actually do something about it should a component break. Sure, it's big and noisy, but that might just be worth it.

Laptops however, I might just have to go bare bones, so it's not as painful, should this happen.

Sure, Apple will replace it, but it's only a matter of time before it breaks again.

Sure, I could buy a Mac pro, but that's way out of my budget considering how much cheaper I could just build a PC for. Mac OS is not worth a £200+ premium. I love it, but yeah.

7. TheCookie thread starter macrumors regular

TheCookie

Okay, so my question is: if it's doing this, is it going to get worse?

If it will do this occasionally, that I can live with. If it's going to get worse, then I need to get it replaced ASAP before I start school in a couple of weeks.

8. ryanrul macrumors member

Yep this is getting ridiculous
    and it is 100% Apple's responsibility to do something about it.

9. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Mine was getting worse although my graphical glitches never took the the "magic eye" appearance and I was having the sleep/wake issue. Im still waiting for my MBP which has been in repair since monday. They swapping out the logic board...yipeeee.:rolleyes:

10. gr8bob macrumors regular

Depending on your usage behaviour, either it's going to stay like that for quite some time, but eventually, it's going to go bad one way or another.

Neither NVIDIA nor Apple is saying anything at the moment, but you could try give them a call on the issue of faulty NVIDIA chips and see what's their response.

11. jag00 macrumors newbie

I had my own similar issue last night and the day before that (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=525298)

I'm sure Apple would happily replace it but if it is a systematic problem with all mbp's sporting those particular nvidia cards than there is no point to that.

So we're stuck having to wait until this whole mess gets sorted out. I understand it takes time. I just hope my computer doesn't go freaking out permanently in the middle of a big project. That's really my biggest concern.

J

12. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Mine has the same jacked up GPU like everyone else. Same thing as you experienced happens once in a blue moon, less severe versions happen once in a while too. I'll get it fixed before I decide to sell it but it doesn't bug me all that much.

13. TheCookie thread starter macrumors regular

TheCookie

That's what I'm thinking, too. But I'm about to start law school... so if it crashes when I'm in the middle of finals, I'm screwed.