MBP Display hinge action seems too weak

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Merzie, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Merzie macrumors member

Whenever I put my display at a wider angle, it will fall and gradually close. I've found that it will only stay if the screen is perpendicular to the ground. Does anyone see what I'm talking about, or is this just my machine? It's kind of annoying for me.

edit: June 2009 MBP 15" 3.06Ghz 500GB 7200RPM 4GB

2. celticpride678

Which MacBook Pro?

3. Merzie thread starter macrumors member

in my signature.

And--- It's almost as if the weight of the display brings it down.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The hinge on my MBP (early 2009, 15.4" 2.4GHz with the two GPUs) seems weak, but not THAT weak. Basically I can have the screen on an angle, it doesnt have to be perpendicular to the ground, but if I tilt the computer even slightly (for example, if I have to get a piece of paper out that I accidentally sat the computer on), then the screen will either immediately fall back as far as it can go, or it will fall back onto the computer but stop maybe 1 or 2 centimetres from being completely closed.

5. celticpride678

Then it is normal. Most of the UniBody Mac notebooks have a problem with the hinge being weak/ not steady. This is normal and will not break/be replaced. I have the same issue on my Late 2008 MacBook 2.4 GHz UniBody. So does everybody else, but it does get annoying at times. I feel the issue here too.

6. Merzie thread starter macrumors member

I'm talking about when it's perpendicular to the ground and the laptop is fully opened ~135 degrees. I'd say that it'll stick if it's within 5 degrees of the perpendicular when the screen is open the fully. It only falls when you move the computer when it's at lower angle openings (say <90) or if you move it ever so slightly when it's at higher angle openings (say >90).

Yeah I wouldn't imagine it being fixed or replaced. Just sometimes have to hold the screen up.

7. joehahn macrumors regular

i have the june 15" and my display is fine on mine untill i get to about a 80 degree angle (the base being held up)

8. Merzie thread starter macrumors member

I sent mine in and they fixed it but the problem returned