MBP Display Issue - help please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JUMPINTHEGUN, Mar 2, 2012.

1. JUMPINTHEGUN macrumors newbie

I searched for this problem, but haven't been able to find anything...

My MBP (now my daughter's) developed a display issue a few months ago where the black pixels are red and there are light blue artifacts on the screen. I have attached a couple of photos to show what I am talking about. If I connect remotely or use an external display, they are not there - it looks perfect. It is a late 2006 Core Duo running the last version of Snow Leopard. I upgraded the HDD to an SDD a couple of years ago, so it still has great performance, especially for my daughter, but was hoping that I could get the laptop display working correctly. If the logic board has to be replaced, I might as well get her a new MBA or similar... Last I checked, that repair was $800+ Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

2. Unweit macrumors newbie

Have you tried
    - SMC Reset
    - PRAM Reset
    - Resetting the display?

The quickest way to reset the display is to use the following key combination:
    1. Press Control - Shift - Eject.
    2. After the display goes to sleep, wake it by pressing any key on the keyboard.

If that doesn't help:

This is a sign that it's not the logic board. My guess is a corrupted display or display cable. Could happen through pressure on the lid or shock. For a better diagnosis you need to take the MacBook to a workshop who can check with a known-good display. A new display should be cheaper than the logic board though.

3. JUMPINTHEGUN thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help...

I did reset the SMC and PRAM and did the display reset that you mentioned... still no change. I'll take is apart and double check that the connector hasn't come loose... I guess it could be a physical display problem, however, the pixels are constantly "broken" - they only turn red when there is a lot of black on the screen or on black areas - the blue-ish time only happens on lighter areas - white or grey.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

4. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I recently had this issue on a brand new late 2011 MBP. The Apple Genius said the logic board needed to be replaced, but AppleCare arranged a brand new replacement MBP for me (obviously I understand your model is not under warranty).

5. Archduk3 macrumors member

I basically only have this problem on my external screen and it is flickering. And not commonly happening.

And it wasn't happening before last EFI. Any ideas?