MBP display issue.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SeanL116, Dec 28, 2008.

1. SeanL116 macrumors newbie

When I tried to boot up my MBP today, the screen remained black. The keyboard backlight comes on, I can adjust the volume, I hear the drives spinning, but the display will not show anything.
    I tried restarting, adjusting brightness, removing the battery, and resetting the RAM, but nothing worked. I also tried plugging in an external monitor. While it recognized an input (it moved away from the "no input" screen), it was entirely black.

Is this a video card issue (I have the 2.4GHz, so it's an 8600 iirc)?
    What else could it be, and how can I fix it (no applecare).

2. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Hi Sean, I hate to say this but it does sound like a graphics fault:(... Whats the first 5 digits of the serial number?

Have you upgraded the RAM recently (sounds odd I know).

Thanks.

Alex.

3. SeanL116 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have the serial no. info handy, but the model no. is A1226.

I have not upgraded the RAM.

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I'm pretty sure the box that holds your MBP has the serial #. Hope you didn't throw it away..

5. SeanL116 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's at home (and I have it recorded with other similar items, but that list is also at home). I just got back to my college apt, so I don't have the info here. :-/

6. bezerk3r86 macrumors member

yours is probably one of the affected 8600GT models..Apple has a KB article about how to deal with this. They ask you to bring your machine to a nearby Apple Store. mine was also affected when the symptoms popped up, so they replaced the entire logic board.