MBP Display messed up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arsaudi, May 12, 2009.

1. arsaudi macrumors newbie

arsaudi

Hi. Last night after restarting my MBP the display suddenly changed. Even before the OS is loaded (when only the apple logo is displayed in the screen after pressing the power button), the color is completely different. The Apple logo is pixilated and after loading the OS, the display was like rainbow with so many different colors that you can’t even read the text on the desktop. It was like having a painting that was washed with water.

I don’t know how to explain it, but I really need help.

If it is in Windows, it is like in 8 bit color display. This is really very annoying since it is difficult to see anything on the display. Help!

2. n0d3 macrumors regular

3. arsaudi thread starter macrumors newbie

arsaudi

I will try to reset the PRAM later when i get back home since I'm still in the Office. What will be the result after the reset? Will it erase all my data and my settings? Thank you.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It doesnt erase your HD or anything if that's what you've worried about, I've done it several times when I've experienced lag for one reason and another, and the only thing I've noticed when I boot back up is increased responsiveness - everything else is exactly how I set it.

5. arsaudi thread starter macrumors newbie

arsaudi

Sorry for the late reply. Here's what happened to my Macbook Pro.

I tried to reset the PRAM as suggested but it did not change anything. The display still messed up after trying it a few times. So I decided to take it to the local Apple store where they have a quallified tech and they confirmed that it is the graphics card. The worst thing is that it's out of warranty and they have to replace the whole motherboard to make it working again. The cost for the parts and labor will be half the price of the new Macbook (not pro).

So i need a little bit of suggestion here, if I will replace the motherboard or just buy a new one and keep my old one as a external drive. And if I will buy a new one, can I restore all my data from my Time Machine to the new Macbook?

Thanks.

6. arsaudi thread starter macrumors newbie

arsaudi

I don't know if it is applicable here in Saudi Arabia but i will try it.

n0d32, Thank you very much for this info, it will save me a lot of money.

thanks.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What is the model number of your computer?

8. arsaudi thread starter macrumors newbie

arsaudi

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

So, you've got the nvidia 8600 graphics card?

10. arsaudi thread starter macrumors newbie

arsaudi

Yes it says GForce 8600M GT with 512 MB. It's really hard to read now. The Vendor says NVIDIA (0x10de), Device ID 0x0407 m revusuibUD 0x00a1 and ROM revision 3212. It's really hard to read now, so correct me if the specs i write is wrong.

Thank you.