MBP Display Resting on Keys When Closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Plainsman, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Plainsman, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

Plainsman macrumors newbie

I have a newbie question about the MBP and how the keys are supposed to set when the display is shut. I have noticed on my one month old MacBook that smudges on my screen are showing up. These smudges resemble the size of the keys on the keyboard. That is telling me that 1) the keys look to be resting on the display glass when the laptop is closed and 2) I need to clean my machine more often. Number two I can solve. The first issue I am a little concerned with. Is it normal for the keys to come into contact with the display glass when the MacBook is closed up? Is this something I should be concerned with, such as the keys abrading the glass?

This is my first MB and I've never seen this sort of thing with the HP, Compaqs, Gateways and Dells I've worked with over the past ten years.

Edit: I talked to Apple Care about this. Michael said that doesn't sound right so he sent me to the Apple Store in Roswell, GA. The Genius who looked at it said that all MacBooks are like that and left it at that. Am I over-reacting here?

2. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Sounds about right. If you're worried about the keys scratching the screen, get a silicon keyboard overlay.

3. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I don't think it should hit the keypad, no... But a few smudges isn't a huge deal.

5. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

I've had 2 Macbook Pro (Unibody and non-unibody) and both had contact between keys and screen. Nothing to worry about. Just clean it whenever they appear. Nothing will prevent dust from appearing, but they surely won't damage the screen.

6. marddin macrumors 6502

The Radtech screen saverz are great. I own a grey one for my retina. Decreases depression between keys and screen, also doubles as a cloth to wipe down the screen. I recommend it.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I wouldn't worry about either, but we hear so much about Apple's perfectly made hardware I would kinda of expect the perfection to include a precise air gap between they keys and the screen... oh well. Some thin strips of home made bumps?

8. Plainsman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Yeah, I expected a higher standard of quality. Especially since I paid a decent amount of money for it. This computer just works much better than the Windows machines I've had over the past 20 years. The last one is my company computer, which manages to crash at least once per day. I want to make sure this computer will last for a long time.

9. X-Ravin macrumors regular

I always place the little apple cleaning cloth on the keys, and I haven't noticed any marks on the screen :)