MBP, Displayport, and U2410

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derickdub, Mar 15, 2011.

1. derickdub macrumors 6502

Hi, I am currently having a problem with my mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro when using my Dell U2410 as an external monitor when connected via Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

When I turn the U2410 off, the computer acts as if it lost the connection to it, enabling the display on the MacBook Pro. Which disabling to begin with is a rather painstaking process, since I have to close the lid and "wake" the computer from sleep by using an external keyboard. I also have to keep the lid open because the fan works better, and oddly, the bluetooth does as well.

I have also noticed that the computer doesn't immediately go to sleep with the lid closed when I turn the U2410 off. The apple on the back side of the lid will still be glowing indicating that the screen is lit. It will eventually go to sleep after sometime, though I don't know what triggers this.

I can't let my computer go to sleep because it stops my downloads, and I hate having to "wake" it back up. I have thought about just leaving the lid open and turning my MacBook's display brightness all the way down when turning off the U2410 so the screen is black and my computer wont go to sleep, but I will still have to go through the process of setting the U2410 to act as an external display.

I never had this problem when using a Mini DisplayPort to VGA cable.

Sorry if this doesn't sound clear. I am essentially asking if anyone else is having a similar problem when using DisplayPort with an external monitor and if not what kind of cable are they using. I know some have pin 20 connected in them, like mine. If this isn't the case, is there any way that I could set my U2410 up to be an external monitor rather than an extension of my MBP's display, other than the work around I mentioned earlier? Or even just moving my dock and menu bar to the external display would be enough for me, as long as the were restored each time I turn the U2410 off/on.

Thanks

2. derickdub thread starter macrumors 6502

After doing some more research, I came across this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3533

It seems that that power pin in the the DisplayPort cable is the problem.

Does anyone know of a MDP to DP cable that is vesa1.1a compliant (no continuity between pin 20 on each end)?

3. derickdub thread starter macrumors 6502

Another update/bump
    I checked my cable for continuity between pin 20 on both ends, I didn't get anything. So the pin thing isn't a problem.

I am starting to think it is the monitor, but why would the Displayport input cause this to happen while the VGA doesn't?

Also, the cable I have is from monoprice, where a few reviewers stated the cable was connected on pin 20, I am pretty sure mine is not though, I even opened up the end of the cable and peeled back the shield and hot glue and saw that no wire was connected on the pin 20 terminal.

Is there no one on here that uses a Displayport connection to a monitor with their MBP?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

4. tylerpenn macrumors newbie

5. derickdub thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey just saw your reply now a month later...

Is it working fine for you? I still have had no luck :(

6. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

7. DrivenDaily macrumors newbie

I have the CircuitAssembly cable (link) in use with my Late 2008 MBP / Dell U2311H and don't have any sleep issues like that. It's more expensive than Monoprice and very well may be made in the same factory but it works for me. YMMV