MBP distorted battery ??? will it be replaced by Apple ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macchiato2009, Sep 5, 2010.

1. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

Hi

my gf recently noticed that the battery life was much shorter than before

after inspecting her MBP, she saw that the battery was distorted

(she has a MBP from the generation before the unibody)

of course, a battery is supposed to die one day, but not to be distorted with time, the risk of explosion is huge

would it be covered by Apple even if it's an old model ???

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Is it still under warranty? In other words, did she buy Applecare?

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I believe the battery replacement program is over, but you could go to the Apple store and see what they think. Also, I think the word you are looking for is "swollen" or "distended".

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

They replaced mine, no questions asked, many months out of warranty. Took it to the Genius Bar, ensuring that the battery was held up visible for others to see. ;)

5. macchiato2009 thread starter macrumors 65816

ok thanks, we'll take it to the genius bar this week

6. Swissbird macrumors newbie

Swissbird

Battery Woes, too

That puffy battery thing happened to me, too. I replaced it and that one would only stay charged for little more than an hour, so it went back. In the meantime, my hubby tossed the puffy battery. Do you think Apple will take my word for it? I have an Apple A1189 MacBook Pro 17".

Part 2: Where would you go for a good battery?

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

No. They would need your original battery, with it inside your MBP (for warranty reasons, such as serial number, etc...). There are quite a few websites to buy batteries for under $50. You could even go on ebay and purchase one.

8. voicebox macrumors newbie

voicebox

This post may be a little late, but I hope it will help other people who might be having the same MBP battery problem. Please excuse my preamble!

I have a 17" MBP which I bought new in 2007 along with Applecare.

Two days ago after nearly a week of trackpad problems (swollen and unresponsive), 'screen freezing' problems, even when using an external mouse, I was working with the laptop on my lap when I heard a loud 'crack' from underneath the laptop and on turning it over I saw that the battery had burst and split wide open!
    After shutting down, I removed the battery and saw that it was swollen and splitting on the inside as well - causing pressure and making the trackpad malfunction.
    I phoned Applecare and was told that this was an 'ongoing' problem from 2006/2007 and to take the laptop to my nearest Apple store. Once there at the Genius Bar, I was given the grim news that the laptop was 12 months and one day out of warranty - 'tell me something I don't know' I thought!
    Nevertheless, in accordance with their policy, they replaced the battery free of charge and made sure the trackpad was working OK.

So, Apple WILL replace these faulty batteries, even after the MBP's in question have been out of warranty for many months.

This is Applecare and Apple service at their best!:)
    voicebox

9. Swissbird macrumors newbie

Swissbird

Continuing battery woes MP3

Voicebox, thanks for posting your experience. Apple IS a fair and balanced company MOST of the time. I wish I had had this information when my battery swelled up out of it's case! I got mine in mid '08, but I think it's probably the same model as yours.

Silly me, thinking that my MBP was well out of the warranty, I tossed the battery and just replaced it with non-Apple replacement. Since then have replaced it yet again (no swelling; it just stopped charging), even though I calibrate it monthly as recommended. I am very fortunate not to have had any permanent damage to my computer or myself.

Should a battery have to be replaced at least once a year even when one uses the computer hooked up to electricity at LEAST 95% of the time? I rarely even take it out of the house!

Earlier this year, my logic board failed. I took it to the Genius Bar and they replaced it for their regular fee, even though I explained the problem with the battery and suggested that might have caused the extra strain on it's inner parts. I was met with the usual glassy stare. Like, duh, you are serious?

Also, am I to assume that the Apple batteries are now safe? Even at twice the price of non-Apple batteries, it would be worth it to me to go back to Apple......IF they are safe and IF they would last longer than a year.

OR is it this particular MBP that causes the battery problem? Anyone?

Jan

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

I've had my apple batter for nearly 4 years now, it's never swollen up. I believe that is a rare occurence. Apple doesn't make those batteries by the way, sony does.