MBP dock

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rmafive, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I just bought a new baseline MBP. I currently am plugging and unplugging five plugs every day, and I am already sick of it! I was wondering if there are any usb or express 34 docks that are mac compatible and can support a 23" Apple Cinema display. Thanks :D

2. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

3. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but that dock is only compatible with the old macbook pros :mad:. Anyway, I am looking for a dock were I can plug in one plug, like usb, instead of using a large dock.

4. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

I don't think anyone's released a dock compatible with the MBP redesign as of yet but it won't be long..
    As for plugging in just one usb.. what exactly do you mean? are you after a dock or a usb hub?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

An Apple Cinema Display won't run on a USB or ExpressCard 34 slot.

6. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Oh, now i get you ;)
    No, there's no way you can run all your ports through one usb or through express34. Your only option would be to wait for a new dock that's been adjusted to accommodate the new layout and miniDP.

7. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

You guys are wrong! There are docks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K3DONM?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=nextag-ce-tier2-delta-20&linkCode=asn

that let you run a dock through an express 34 slot, all I want to know is if there is a dock like this that is mac compatible! :rolleyes:

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

9. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Did you read any of the reviews? the VGCs used in displaylink and other products like this are put simply, of very poor quality. Attempting to power all your ports over a 2.5gbit bus is very inefficient and using an external GPU with a 23" ACD is just a bad idea..
    To my knowledge there are no products like this using express34 or usb that are compatible with OS X. As I said, you're better off waiting for a traditional dock with a revised layout compatible with the new MBP and specifically, miniDP.

10. verbose macrumors member

I'm doing 4 plugs a day, but with a vertical stand and a USB hub. I'd rather have it take up less space on the desk than waste it with a dock.