MBP Docking Station - Good idea?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThirtyThr33, Jul 9, 2011.

1. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

So for anyone who isn't familiar with what I'm talking about see this link: http://www.hengedocks.com/

Basically I really want one of these for my MBP so I can use it as a desktop setting to declutter my workspace and also just show off;)

However so reviews say it partially blocks the air vents at the back of the MBP which could be a problem in my mind, but I've never used a MBP in clamshell mode (I think that's what it's called when the lid is closed) and I have no idea how hot a MBP would get in clamshell mode in a dock.

Any advice or experience with these?

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

sounds interesting. i don't think heat would be too much of a problem since the computer should ramp CPU to match cooling.

Ferengi signature?

3. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I would be concerned about issues with the MacBook display when disconnecting. if you plug in or unplug an external display when your laptop is in clamshell mode, you may find a blank screen when you open your MacBook. You really need to plug/unplug the mini display port cable when your MacBook is open to avoid issues. I would also be concerned about heat and scratching it going in and out of the dock. Also gouging the aluminum around the ports if the cables were not aligned quite right.

I use the BookArc Stand and it works really well, looks cool and doesn't have any of the potential problems I mentioned.

4. ThirtyThr33 thread starter macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Hmm... That looks pretty interesting as well. I might actually go with that. I will probably do a little bit more research though. The really ugly (but better built) option for the Henge dock would be the Byte-Dock (http://www.byte-dock.com), which is a little better design-wise but looks terrible. Only thing is it's ~$250! Yikes!

5. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I'm happy to report that Lion handles use of an external monitor WORLDS better than before. The switching between external and internal in any order I've thrown at it has been handled flawlessly and when you plug in an external with the MBP open then close it, it no longer goes to sleep requiring you to wake it to be in clamshell...it now just automatically switches to clamshell.

6. mrklaw macrumors 65816

so will Lion let me plug an already sleeping MBP into a henge dock, and then wake it up with a remote or similar, and have the display on the TV? Looking at possibly using my MBP as a plex front end in place of my old mini). But I need to have ethernet, power, display and optical out connected up and that'd get old quickly.