MBP does not connect to Linksys router

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thewang767, Oct 2, 2008.

1. thewang767 macrumors newbie

At school, I use an old Linksys b router to connect my PC and my MBP. However, whenever I connect to my network, Airport is always lit yellow and says "Airport has a self-assigned IP address and may not connect to the Internet." I have tried connecting to my network with other MBP and MB, and neither of them seem to work. However, I am able to connect to my network on a laptop running XP/Vista.

My router has the exact same setup as last year, I haven't changed anything. I tried to manually assign an IP address, 192.168.1.1 for the router and 192.168.1.101 for my IP, to no luck. I ran Network Diagnostics multiple times. One try, I restarted my router and Airport seemed to work. But after I closed my MBP and opened it a couple of days later, I had the same problem.

My MBP connects to my home router fine. It is a standard router given to me by Verizon FiOS. Is this problem from an update by Apple?

2. suprathepeg macrumors newbie

3. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Do you have access to the internet if you connect the MBP to the router using an ethernet cable? If so, something with the wireless settings may be wrong. In my experience, more often than not there's a MAC filtering on the router which does not recognize the MAC address of your computer. If that's the case, be sure to enter the Airport MAC address and not the ethernet card MAC address.

4. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Apple is kinda bad on wireless networking these days.

Does your router have the SSID turned on? That is, can you see it listed in the Airport item in the menu bar?

Have you changed the wireless channel? You may have better luck changing the channel if you have nearby wireless routers on the same channel as yours. Apple Airport often acts funky when there's multiple wireless routers on the same channel in the area.

Have you tried powering off the router and turning it back on? I have an older Linkysys B/G router and I would have to reboot it once every few weeks when my iMac would stop connecting to it.

Its not just Apple, my DELL craptop I use for work randomly disconnects from company wireless several times a day for no apparent reason. Of course I work at a company that makes networking products so we have two dozen wireless routers for testing/programming purposes randomly turning on all over the building all day and that can mess it up.

There may be updates for the Router as well as Airport. Go to Linksys.com and look for the Support, then software downloads and find the model and get an update. You use the built-in web server GUI for the router to configure and update it. I forget what Linksys uses for the address you type in Safari, http://192.168.1.1 I think.

5. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

This might be a problem with the fact that you are at school.

I know when i lived on campus we could connect to the internet with a computer but not with a router. After the computer was connected we were auto redirected to a website we had to log into. After the login was done we would then get a connection. I usually had to re-login every 3-4 days.

6. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I encountered someone at my school with an identical problem. She had a brand new MBP that was using a self-assigned ip address. I researched it and found that it was the routers that need restarted. Something about them not assigning an ip address to a computer. It happens to Windows computers but they don't give you a helpful error message like "using a self-assigned ip address".