MBP doesn't boot anymore.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by punkblack, Nov 7, 2011.

1. punkblack macrumors newbie

Hello,

I switched on my MBP this morning and the start screen looks strange. I attached a picture. The MBP doesn't boot any more, it showes this screen and the turning boot sign which stops after a few seconds.

I connected my image and pressed the option key. My image appears as a bootable devices. I select it it in order to boot from. The same problem happens again. The boot sign turns a few seconds longer but stops again and everything freezes.

I tried the same as well by pressing C but the same. I installed a few days ago a bootable recovery partition with techtool pro 6. But can not boot from it as well. The same problem as with the image.

My DVD drive doesn't work for ages already. So I didn't try to boot from my snow leopard install disc. Not sure if it is worth to get a usb cd rom drive to boot from the snow leopard drive?

My MBP is an early 2008 model and I am running snow leopard.

Does anybody have an idea. I am realy desperate.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

3. punkblack thread starter macrumors newbie

Well if this is true, it is no good news for me. I am living in Dubai and there is no Apple shop I could go for repair. Only to buy.

If you are right, is there no option at least to boot with my image? My image is a few days old and I would love to get a few recent files off the HD.

Cheers

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Apples site was not directly helpful, so i was forced to use Google:
    http://www.emiratesmac.com/forums/troubleshooting-mac/14623-macbook-pro-airport-wireless-issue.html

I hope this helps you a bit. :)

No, no option at all. Apple must replace the logicboard of your machine. I've a similar problem with a Mid-2009 MBP. :mad:

If you want to know more about the problem:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...s-apple-macbook-pros-nvidia-bad-bump-material

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, if the logic board is indeed the problem, it should be possible to take the hard disc out of the machine and plug it into another computer (easiest using an external enclosure). Should be another mac probably so it can actually read the filesystem.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

That was the method which i used to "rescue" my files in a similar situation. Quick and effective. I can recommend it.

7. punkblack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the map. I had the same problem with the Apple site, not very helpful for Dubai.
    I know some of these shops but they don't repair as far as I understand. Do you know if one of these shops repair and where I can bring my MBP and get it repaired foc as my MBP is still not 4 years old ( assuming it is a NVidia 8600 GPU failure)?

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Unfortunately not. I'm not from Dubai. :eek:

However:

iStyle (3rd on the list on the left side of the map) says, they have also a "out of warranty repair center", which sounds like what you need. You can show them this:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377
    if needed.

Another company from the above mentioned "Dubai list" is E-City. The E-City customer support statement sounds like they provide also AASP-services:
    http://www.ecityuae.ae/customer-support

9. punkblack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. I will get in touch with them.

Cheers