Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reidnez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
First post here but have lurked for a long time.

Forgive the long story. I have a late-2008 15" Macbook Pro. About three months ago, I spilled some coffee right into the keyboard. The machine immediately shut off. As quickly as I could, I turned it upside down and pulled the battery, and left it that way for a couple of weeks to see if things would dry out and work--I've been surprised in the past by waterlogged electronics coming back to life.

Sure enough, it started up and seemed to run OK. The only issue was that the trackpad "clicker" didn't work at first, but this soon returned.

In the course of all this, I'd acquired a newer iMac and realized that my MBP was lagging badly in performance--especially with the paltry 2GB of RAM. I installed 4GB of RAM (left over from when I'd upgraded the iMac's RAM) and an Intel 120GB SSD.

It now runs like a champ...EXCEPT that every few minutes or so, it will freeze up for a period of 5-15 seconds. I can always still move the cursor, sometimes I can switch between windows and sometimes not...but no applications respond to any clicks or keystrokes. Usually the cursor will beachball, but sometimes not.

When I have activity monitor open as this happens, the CPU appears to go completely idle--of course, it could be that the activity monitor simply isn't receiving updates from the CPU. Don't know.

With the upgrades and a fresh copy of OSX installed, I figured I had a hardware issue owing to residue from the spilled coffee. I figured a repair shop could give things a good cleaning and it might fix the problem.

When I explained all this to the tech at the repair shop, he said that in his experience, "MacBooks don't like SSD's"...this was a surprise to me as I hadn't even considered that component, since it's new (which is of course all the more reason consider it, but the coffee incident was stuck in my mind as the culprit). And I'd never heard of a machine not "liking" SSD's, whatever that means.

Since I still have the old drive in an enclosure, he advised me to clone my SSD to it, then reinstall the old drive and see if it fixes the issue...I guess it's worth a shot, since it will only take me an hour and won't cost anything. But before I go to the trouble, does this sound realistic to anyone? If it doesn't work, is there anything else I can try troubleshooting before I take it back to the shop?

I love how quickly it boots and launches apps with the SSD and would hate to go back to spinny-platters...wondering if there is even any merit to his statement.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
My 2009 MBP loves it's new SSD drive. It runs without issues. Not sure what might be going on with your machine.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Is that RAM combined with the RAM from your original MacBook? RAM has, among other specifications, CAS latency, timings, and voltages. If these RAM sticks aren't matched by those three variables, you get system instability, possible RAM damage, etc.

You may wish to remove one of the sticks to see if the problem is resolved. Doesn't matter which one.

If you're upgrading RAM, the safest and easiest thing to do is just buy matching sticks at one time.

And nonsense, Macs love SSDs. Just make sure to install Groth's TRIM enabler.

Last edited:

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
Did the coffee contain sugar? If so, then it is probably the first case of a MBP suffering from hypoglycemia... :D

Joking aside, I have a late 2008 15" MBP and had no issue with a Samsung 630 SSD 64GB. Check with Activity Monitor app CPU and Disk Activity...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.