MBP doesn't switch ON just with the powercable (I want without the battery in)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chaos9k, Jul 5, 2008.

1. chaos9k macrumors newbie

Hi
    I 've just bought my MBP a few weaks ago and I've notice that I can't switch it on just with the powecable so I have to putt on the battery and then I take it off after I started the computer.

Can I just switch it on with the powercable without the battery?

Thanks

2. thecartoonguy macrumors 6502a

thecartoonguy

That's a tough one. If you are close to an Apple store, I would make a Genius Apt so they can test the battery. In most cases the problem is the power supply. However, since the battery is built in to the computer it's hard to say. If you are not near a store I would call the apple care line.

All the best

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ahh... Sound like there's something at a miss here, your MacBook Pro should operate with or without the battery being inserted.

Originally I wasn't sure at first so I tested it on mine.. and it starts up as normal without the battery - though why would one power-up their laptop without a battery is beyond me. For many reasons, keeping the battery in is better cause the system won't halt IF the cord is removed via a accident but you know.. this is your choice.

4. Bungleaio macrumors member

As far I have seen (only been a mac user for a week now) its important that the battery stays in at all time. If the battery isn't in then the processor runs at half speed because when it gets busy it needs to pull more power than the power supply can give out so it needs the battery.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I don't believe to this is true at all!! If anything, the processor will initiate it's speedstep technology to conserve power when it's powered of the battery. However, the user can override this feature by making changes to the Energy Saver Control Panel

[​IMG]

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

Seems a waste to do this, but it SHOULD work.

7. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

This is true. When running without a battery all intel mac laptops will revert to half speed, and there isn't any thing you can do about it.

What Bungleaio was suggesting is true... occasionally, and only for very short instances, the MBP will require slightly more power then the AC adaptor can supply. In those cases it pulls from the battery briefly. You can argue whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, but there doesn't seem to be any way to avoid it. I personally like it since I suspect it allows apple to use smaller and lighter power adaptors then would otherwise be possible.

Also, there's pretty much no reason to remove a modern li-ion battery from a laptop. It may have been beneficial in the past but the combination of li-ion technology and more intelligent power management have made it all but pointless. It's possible that removing the battery might result in a slight increase in battery life, but that comes at the expense of possibly loosing work or damaging your computer when the power goes out or if you were to accidently unplug the power adaptor.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Dunno about you guys.
    Personally I don't see any benefits to running a LAPTOP without it's battery,
    it kinda defeats the purpose of owning a mobile computer, if you have to be
    chained to the power point.

As to worrying about the battery life...

Well, since it's a new system, you won't know will you have a faulty battery unless you use it. It's only then, can you obtain a free replacement from Apple - should it be faulty...

9. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

well, youd be wrong then. It is all over the net how the CPU is downclocked if the battery is not in.

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well, I never claimed to be an expert!
    Care to provide some third-party links to backup your theory?
    I'd like to know more!

11. chaos9k thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that... But stills the same... :(

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Did you try resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM??
    Sometimes, there could be a bug... There's no harm trying!

How to:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

13. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks Panoz7,

I think others should be posting this sort of information when quoting facts, it helps brainless users like me... :rolleyes:

However, I STILL don't believe this applies to the current line of MBP's, defintely not the 2008 line. Because it's a firmware bug found in the Rev A firmware. It's since been fixed (notice it's dated: June 19, 2007)

15. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

nobody said you were brainless :)

But, im not gonna waste my time, again with googling this issue...Ive already beat it to death basically :)

You can believe what you like, but I HAVE a mbp 2.4 penryn, that does it. Its not a firmware issue or anything like that. It just has to do with how the internals of the battery/AC work. Thats all there is to it.

download coolbook, and turn on "monitor cpu freq in menubar", where ever that is, and you will see for yourself. I think this is what its gonna take to convince you otherwise anyways :)

I dont know why youd wanna take the battery out anyways, its death is inevitable. Nothing you do will produce any noticable life saving difference. In case your wondering, thats all over google too!

:D:apple:

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

where does it say that its a bug? not anywhere on that link.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unfortunately "it's not a bug, it's a feature."

No seriously though, if you run something like CPU-Z in Windows, it will show the lower clock with the battery removed.

18. zsft macrumors regular

I recall reading some threads a month or two back about this issue - I believe it concluded with the problem being Apple's poor circuit design that requires the battery to be in to operate on full power...something like that, I'm not certain.

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks for the low-down, to be frank this issue or feature doesn't bother me, nor will I be making uses of it since it's never crossed my mind to use a LAPTOP without it's battery inserted - dunno why other's would... Even my desktop system is battery backed up, incase of power failures!!

It makes more sense to me, to leave and operate the system with the battery installed, as one never knows what's gonna happen in the next moment - Personally, I move and use the MBP on the go toomuch to be removing the battery. If the power is plugged in, it's there cause the battery is dead - that simple.

It's nice to know that some folks here have too much time on their hands, that's probably why they discover those 'easter eggs' - so to speak - Other people ain't so fortunate... we're busy, busy, busy...

Oh in that case, Apple might as well add the following to the feature list:

Aluminium casing - allow for easy scratching, warping and electrostatic shock theory!! :D

20. Bungleaio macrumors member

Yippee I got something right for a change!