MBP Doest go to sleep immediately

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shreknow91, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Shreknow91 macrumors newbie

This may be me just being picky...

My 2009 15" MBP takes at least a minute to fall asleep from the time I shut the lid, is this normal? I seem to remember it would go to sleep almost immediately after I shut the lid when I first got it.

Some times I will close it and then open it a few seconds later and it will not have gone to sleep, but about 15 seconds later, the screen will go black like it is going to sleep and I have to press a key to get it to wake up...

Is this normal behavior?

BTW it is a 2.8 C2D, bought in February of '10

Thanks!
    -Brad

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I don't know for certain if it's normal behavior or not, but this type of thing has definitely happened to me too before. I notice it a lot if I'm using computer intensive stuff, it'll take longer to go to sleep, and then I'll have to press a key to wake it up (but only if it was open when I put it to sleep). As long as it doesn't bother you, though, I don't think you need to take it in, but hey, it never hurts right?

3. Lokrado macrumors regular

this is normal behavior.
    your system is making a copy of your ram on your hard drive (safe sleep) so that should it run out of battery it will stil be able to wake up once you plug it back in

4. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Not really a normal behavior, IMO.
    Perhaps a complete shutdown is needed. Did you install anything that runs in the background?

5. warrena macrumors member

warrena

Could be a process running in the background that has to finish or if you have increased your ram, it has to write it to disk which might take some time. Install smartsleep and select the smartsleep option and that will probably speed it up. It is nothing to worry about though as the system is probably saving the system state to disk.