MBP drive swap, drivers needed...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robzr, Jun 30, 2009.

1. robzr macrumors member

I upgraded my 13" 2008 unibody MB to a new 15" MBP by swapping the aftermarket 500gb drive over... I could do a time machine backup and restore but that would take a long time and be a PITA, so I was hoping to just swap the drive and fix any drivers/apps that didn't quite make it over. So far it seems the audio isn't working, and while the screen works I have no app to enable the 9600 accelleration, and also the screen brightness controller doesn't do anything. Any ideas on where I can find these packages or get these devices working?

If I have to backup and restore it's going to be a pain, I have Boot Camp on there and lots o apps...... argh

Rob

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. Dunno why you don't use the discs included with your mac. by the time you've messed about waiting for answers, you could of reinstalled MacOSX, it only takes 20mins tops. Then create the bootcamp partition again and use something like norton ghost to duplicate/backup windows.

3. robzr thread starter macrumors member

Well I copied the kext's over from /System/Library/Extensions on the drive that came with it, and copied the /System/Library/PreferencePanes over as well, rebooted, and thats fixed the missing audio driver and now I can adjust my brightness again...but the trackpad is acting goofy, multitouch isn't working. At this point I'll try a Combo Update (at the advise of a pretty knowledgeable coworker), and if that doesn't work, I'll do a re-install w/o wiping the drive...I'm just nervous about losing things like application registration settings and whatnot...

Rob

4. crzdmniac macrumors regular

That was what I had tried at first. I ended up just doing an archive and install. Much easier than trying to hack around.