MBP Dropped - HD shot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chefwong, Dec 19, 2012.

1. chefwong macrumors regular

So.....MBP was dropped fairly hard....
    Disk Utility via Firewire Target Mode see the drive.

Won't mount it.
    Running Repair or Verify - it won't do either.

At this point, aside from outside data recovery, is it worth buying Data Rescue 3 to attempt to get the data.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do you have the data anywhere else (you should) but if you don't then the price of the application would be worth every penny if the data is at all important.

3. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

Data if fine - up till 3-4 days ago via TM.

I'm on the road. Some files were worked on...
    I guess I'm looking for feedback on Data Rescue 3

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Diskwarrior.
    Diskwarrior is better for repair than Apple's Disk Utility, but in this case it's probably not going to work.

5. Prosoft Support macrumors newbie

Hi chefwong -

I would try they demo first, you will need an additional drive to to run any recovery software. Also , I would not try a repair on a drive that you need to recover files from. Thats one of the worst things to try, if it fails and does not work for some reason you could loose your directory structure and files for good.

Data Rescue 3 Primer -Mac http://www.prosofteng.com/DRTwitter-mac.php

I recommend to scan your hard drive using a Deep scan to help you detect your files, and you may review your results in the "Reconstructed Files" folder. Simply select any files you are interested in and click on the Preview button to review the file. If Data Rescue 3 provides you with the results you are looking for, you may purchase the software on our website at www.prosofteng.com to receive your serial number and activate the program.

Regards,

Mike

6. bizzle macrumors 6502a

DiskWarrior is most likely NOT going to help you if you're drive issue is related to a dropped machine. DiskWarrior is great for typical file system issues, but if you dropped the drive you most likely have a scratched platter or damaged read/write head.