MBP dropped. Lid damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jayrezzy, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Jayrezzy macrumors newbie

So I had my MBP on my lap when it sled off of my lap and onto the floor. It landed nose down on the front of the laptop. Now the lid wont close (it wont latch shut) and the lid was pushed back about a fingertip length. Any horror stories like this happened to you? I wonder how much to get this fixed...hopefully I wont need a new screen. :(

FYI I do have apple care protection plan, but I dont believe this will cover something like this.

2. Macmoney macrumors member

Macmoney

3. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Your initial warranty and additional AppleCare is voided.
    If you want to replace it, you have to pay for whole screen (aluminum case, LCD and glass) unless you have some kind of insurance. iFixit sells it for 1000$, Apple will charge even more.

4. James Cole macrumors 6502

5. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

No. It's not accidental damage insurance, it covers manufacturing defects.

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

As stated no it doesn't, BUT check your homeowners (or your parents) insurance. If it's not covered these types of coverages can be added for a few bucks a month/year. I have my TV, computers etc.. all covered for "accidental" damage on my homeowners policy. I'll never pay them as much as I've been paid for some breakage I was taken care of on. Money well spent imo.

7. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Everybody loves to see mangled MBPs. Post some pics :).

I know how ***** you feel after droppin your notebook. I had to have the bottom case of my 2008 MBP replaced. $500 AUD.

8. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I know professional photographers who throw their new Nikon or Canon camera bodies, unprotected, into accessory bags filled with plugs and batteries and screw fittings and anything sharp, just to give their new cameras a worn, well-used "professional" look as soon as possible.
    Think of your MBP in the same way – a battle-hardened tool, bearing the scars of excelling in the field. Carry it proudly!
    Would be good if the MBPs were painted black, so that when they got clunked, the metal would show through at the edges, like those classic pro cameras.

9. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

:eek:

Are you insane?

10. BlueJayLouchE macrumors member

BlueJayLouchE

My mates have bets on how long it will take me to cosmetically ufck up my UMBP... I have a knack for "customising" anything I buy.. or borrow.

They refer to it as "Cherrying".

Main Entry: Cherry
    cher·ry
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈcher-ē, ˈche-rē\
    Function:
    noun
    Inflected Form(s): Cherried, Cherrying
    plural cherries
    Etymology:
    Middle English chery, from Anglo-French cherise, cirice (taken as a plural), from Late Latin ceresia, from Latin cerasus cherry tree, from Greek kerasos
    Date:
    14th century

1 To transform a perfectly good piece of electrical equipment into something that resembles a music festival lavatory.

"Andrew cherried the hell outta his iPod"
    or
    "Don't let Andrew use your field recorder. He'll cherry it for sure"

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Applecare is a warranty not an insurance. It only covers you for defects, not abuse.

Sadly macbooks cost a fortune to fix, I refused to believe how much apple charged when i first heard the amounts, but once i confirmed it I was :eek: .

To the OP. you might be better off trying to find replacement parts on ebay... Sorry to hear about the accident

12. goffski macrumors member

did the exact same thing last week, it just slipped off my lap. :eek: There was damage to the plastic hinge and when closed it wasn't flush. I felt like crying!

I took it into the Apple Store and they told me it would cost about £450 to repair and suggested i checked with my home insurance as i would probably only have to pay roughly £100 excess.

Since then its been sent off for inspection by the insurance company and they've just this min called to tell me its un repairable. I've just paid the £100 excess and expect to have a brand new MacBook Pro delivered to me hopefully by the end of the week. Apparently it will be exactly the same spec and not the newly bumped spec.

Noticed a few posts recently, seems like there's a few of us throwing out Mac's around the house.

13. goffski macrumors member

Wow - what service, my new Mac arrived this morning, can't complain about that. Noticed the the box is now a different size and the bonus is i now have iLife 09, i almost upgraded to this the other week. :)