mbp drops wifi connection, doesn't automatically pick it up again

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maigado, Feb 1, 2012.

1. maigado macrumors member

I'm running the latest Snow Leopard on a 3,1 MBP that's a little over 4 years old. The other machines in the house are connected to the router via ethernet, but this one uses wifi. I have a Netgear router that doesn't broadcast its SSID and uses WPA2-PSK [AES] for security. Since the SSID isn't broadcast, I have to manually connect to wifi on relevant devices. I make sure that this is the router automatically connected when wifi is turned on. Network prefs show this router on the list of preferred networks.

In the past, at various locations using various routers, most of which have been Netgear ones, this has worked fine. But suddenly, this computer drops its connection now and then and I have to manually reconnect. This is a PITA, obviously.

I have a first generation iPod Touch that, at this location with this router, ALWAYS requires manual login to the wifi network. This has never been necessary in the past, only since I started using this router.

Any ideas as to how to do something about this so that it stays connected and, more importantly, automatically chooses this router without my having to manually log in? The MBP is the main issue here, though it would be nice to get the iPod doing this, too.

2. chown33 macrumors 604

There's no security benefit to not broadcasting an SSID.

Anyone with the skills or tools to break into your WLAN by sniffing packets and cracking its WEP key isn't going to be deterred by lack of SSID broadcast. Besides, you're not using WEP, so you can't be broken into that way.

So the simplest way I can think of to fix the described problem is to turn on SSID broadcast, so your connecting devices can see it. WPA2+AES should be more than adequate security.

Also, you didn't mention what model the router is. Maybe it's just a problem with that router model.

3. maigado thread starter macrumors member

I let the router broadcast the SSID and that seems to be helping, including with the iPod Touch. I realize that lots of the router's security measures are of little value, but I like the idea of being at least a little under the radar. Better that it works, though. My other measures should be more than enough. I limit wireless access to IP addresses that I have entered, so that alone ought to make something of a difference.

Could be that the router's bad, too. It's a Netgear WNR1000 v2, provided by my ISP at no charge. Probably wouldn't be a terrible idea to buy my own if it makes things work better. Any suggestions?

4. PhantomPumpkin macrumors member

I had a similar issue with my 09 MBP. It turned out replacing the router helped. I believe it was also a Netgear router, although a cheaper one. I have one similar to you now, and am having some issues as well(on more than the MBP).

If what you tried doesn't resolve it, and you're looking for a new router and can afford it, the Airport Extreme has very good reviews.

I'm on router #4 in 2 years, and I'm to the point where I may just buy the APE, and get the darn thing solved.