MBP: Dual DVI Monitors/DisplayLink inconsistent

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SABmore, Aug 11, 2010.

1. SABmore macrumors newbie

All, I'm a complete Mac newbie, just made the switch from Windows, so I apologize if similar topics have been discussed a million times, but I've been unable to find an answer to my specific issue.

I recently purchased a 13" MBP (OS X 10.6.4), and have dual 22" Acer monitors that I prefer to use when at my desk (I close the MBP and use an external keyboard/mouse). I have the Apple mini DP to DVI connector, which works fine for driving the first monitor, then I have a generic (bought on ebay) DVI to USB connector that was working for about 2 weeks, now it no longer does. It runs off of the DisplayLink 1.6.2 beta driver (1.5 wouldn't work). The first time I simply installed the driver, had the MBP open, then plugged in the USB connection and it was detected. I then closed the MBP, and would then put the MBP to sleep, return and it would still recognize it. This time I shut down the MBP, returned and it doesn't recognize the monitor.

I've tried everything I can think of, from uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, to keeping the MBP open in hopes of it recognizing the second monitor, but no luck.

I'm trying to avoid shelling out for a Matrox device, but even then I'm not convinced that it will work. I'm assuming it's a driver issue, so I'm trying to also avoid anything that requires using a driver, but of course everything seems to use the same DisplayLink driver.

Any advice/assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

I just started a triple-monitor setup with my new iMac

1) iMac 27"
    2) ACD 24" connected via Mini-DP
    3) EIZO FlexiScan via USD-DVI in Portrait mode

I also had to install the betadriver as the portrait mode was not working with the official release. But looks fine until now

What I realized the first time I started the EIZO was it was not detected because of Energy Saving Mode: the monitor was sleeping and not sending its name and data to the Mac.

Maybe give it a try and "restart" the monitor ...

In my case it worked well and I can enjoy lots of pixels.

Of course the speed of the USB/DVI connected monitor don't blow you away but for keeping iTunes open or a simple Web Page its ok. and keep the i7 working.