MBP Durability Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmol, Feb 21, 2011.

1. jmol macrumors member

I will be buying the refreshed MBP when it is released but I have a question regarding durability.
    I'm a student and carry around my daily belongings and one or two text books at the most. I'm wondering if as long as I get a Neoprene case such as this will my future 15' MBP be fine? If not, any other suggestions in cases I could use to protect my computer?

2. celticpride678

3. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I think a healthy dose of common sense and some care and you'll be fine without a case, I don't have my 2010 13" in a case and its been fine these past months I've had it.

4. jmol thread starter macrumors member

I most definitely will try not to. I'd rather not drop anything containing my first mac :p I'd just like to make sure it'll be fine in the bag with my books and such.

5. RKpro macrumors 6502

We have no idea. What if the refreshed MBPs are made entirely of glass? :p

It'll probably be fine, I've carried the first unibody model with a sleeve in a laptop backpack since it was introduced in October 2008, and apart from the small scratches on the bottom plate it's held up better than any other laptop I've ever had. (scratches are from small desks that fold out from lecture hall chairs) It's very durable and holds up well to wear and tear and everyday small bumps.

But it will not handle bigger drops very well. Aluminum is a soft metal, and it will likely dent in an impact where plastic case would just be scratched. Just don't drop it, and you'll be fine.