MBP DVD Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hawky, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Hawky macrumors newbie

Hi guys, So the other day i did the firmware update for my dvd drive on my Macbook Pro, all went fine and restarted it and just left it for a few days.
    I put a dvd in the other day and it got stuck inside and wouldn't come out. My laptop didn't even recognise it had a dvd in the drive, nothing would work, holding eject, forcing eject via Terminal etc etc. I eventually managed to get it out by shaking my laptop gently and it slid out a bit, i was then able to pull it out.

I went to put the dvd in again, but now i cant even insert the dvd, it just wont go in, something is blocking the way and i dont want to force a dvd in.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

I think my drive has just died on me and is none functional anymore. Any help would be appreciated. I've got an appointment at the Mac Store in London on Thursday, just curious if i can get some info before i go.

Thanks

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

If shaking the computer caused the DVD to fall out, the drive is broken. It apparently died with the disc partway in--had it fully inserted or been functioning at all, the disc would have been held in place--but apparently whatever protective latch that pops down to keep you from putting two discs in at once got stuck partway closed (at least enough to keep another disc from going in).

If it's under warranty it should be covered, but I seriously doubt you'd be able to do anything yourself unless the power cable just came loose or something like that (unlikely).

Purely out of curiosity, you could try rebooting the computer--mine, at least, resets the optical drive, which makes a quite "whirr-click" sound--to see if it does anything. You could also open Disk Utility and see if the drive is even visible (that also causes a bit of optical drive movement for me).

Again, though, that's just informational--it's almost certainly broken.

3. Hawky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, yeah it does make a whir/click sound when i boot up and the drive does show when i look in disk utility. Sadly its not under warranty and i was stupid and didn't get Apple Care, i just hope i don't have to pay loads to get it fixed.

4. saxondale. macrumors 6502

If they quote you more than £150, i'd just get an external one.

5. PutzMan macrumors newbie

I had a very similar problem last weekend. Do you have a piece of card that you can slot into the drive?

If so, hold it tightly, and push the card into the center of the drive. The drive will click, pull out, and it seems to fix the problem. Discs now go in and out no problem.

6. Hawky thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers will give that a try. Was also thinking about an external drive if it costs too much to replace the drive.

7. Hawky thread starter macrumors newbie

Turns out i do have Apple Care for 3 years, getting it fixed for free, just need to find 2 weeks when i can give my laptop to them, result!

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

You not have any Apple stores near by? I took my MBP with a DVD drive fault to one recently and they replaced the DVD drive inside of 2 hours.

9. Hawky thread starter macrumors newbie

The only one i know of near me is in Regent street, they said they gota have my laptop for 2 weeks to do it. Annoying really because i know it could be fixed in a day or less, but i guess because its a London store they have loads of customers.

10. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Yeah, the London ones were very busy when I was trying to book an apointment, so I got mine done at Lakeside in Essex.