MBP dvd drive replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by woody88, Jun 27, 2008.

1. woody88 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I am trying to help someone possibly replace the dvd drive of their macbook pro. Is this hard to do? I was not able to find any relevant article on the net, so I figured I'd check with people here. Has anyone done this, and how hard is it on a 1 to 10 scale to replace the optical drive of MBP. Any suggestions are welcomed as always........

2. kalimba macrumors regular

3. woody88 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Kalimba for that link. Does look pretty straight forward. Now let's see if they are willing to have me open their MBP up.......:p

4. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I wouldn't mess with it if u have no experience. For a few extra bucks get u done correctly. I assume the mbp is out of warranty?

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

This is one of the more simple things to do on a MBP (whereas on my old 12" PBG4, it's a PITA requiring almost complete disassembly of the machine), but still proceed very carefully.

These guides all make separating case parts seem easy, but it's really not. It requires steady hands to do without bending the metal (a soft spudger helps a lot). Also, be very conscious of the internal wiring (like the ribbon cable that connects the touchpad built into the top case to the logic board). It's all extremely delicate.