mbp+dvi cable

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zblaxberg, Nov 9, 2007.

1. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

So I have a 20" Phillips flatscreen tv that I want to hook up with my macbook pro. I have this dvi-d cable which I'm thinking is the wrong one. I don't know too much about it but I think I need a dvi-i to hook this up to the tv?
    [​IMG]

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

My 2.33 MBP has a DVI-I output so I'm assuming that is the one you need.
    What kind of input does your Phillips have?

3. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

dvi-i, i just didn't pay attention before buying this cable

4. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

From my understanding, there are 6 variations of DVI cabling. DVI-D, DVI-A, DVI-I and then the Dual Link version of each. "D" being digital, "A" being analog, and "I" being integrated, or both D and A on one cable. The Dual Link adds 6 pins to the center for increased bandwidth.

As far as using them, you obviously can't physically plug a DVI-I male (with the 4 pins around the slot) into a DVI-D female (no pins around the slot) port. Fortunately, I rarely see a DVI-D female port in the wild. If anything, it's a DVI-I port with the analog pins just dead.

The good news is you're probably not using the analog part of the signal, just the digital, so there isn't need to go and buy a DVI-I cable... Unless one of two things:
    1) the TV really wants the analog signal. In which case you need to get DVI-A or DVI-I ("I" would be more versatile)... or
    2) You cannot physicaly attach the cable; For instance, if the TV port is DVI-D female, and your cable is DVI-I male. Those 4 analog pins are going to physically block connecting it.

If you haven't tried it, just try it; If it fits, it will most likely work just fine.

5. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

it fits with both the mac and the tv but I can't seem to get a signal when I put it on the dvi channel, the computer channel or the av channel as far as inputs go.

6. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried with an alternate DVI output source?

On my MBP and screen, I use a DVI to HDMI cable, the DVI part being DVI-D, single link; In other words, just like your cable except missing 6 center pins.

I plug it in, open Display in System Prefs and click "Detect Displays."