mbp - dvi - hdmi - Tv - Problem!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fikkser, Nov 30, 2008.

1. fikkser macrumors member

Hi. I bought my first mac a few weeks ago, it's an late 2008 mbp. When I hook it up to my Hyundai 32" tv parts of the screen gets outside the screen. I've tried all resolutions on the mac (ofc the tv's native). I use the 9600 card.

When I use my pc laptop with 8600gt it works perfect. And with the nvidia drivers you can adjust the screensize from the computer so it fits the screen perfectly. Is there no way to adjust it in OS X? I can't do anything in the TV settings either.

Thank you for answers.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I had the same problem with my MacBook -> Mini-DVI to DVI -> DVI to HDMI -> Tatung TV.

It turned out that it was the TV that "didn't like" HDMI signals from a computer. :confused: & :mad:

So I changed to MacBook -> Mini-DVI to VGA -> VGA -> Tatung TV, and now the picture is perfect (or - probably more accurate - good enough for me).

Maybe the Hyundai and Tatung have something in common?

3. fikkser thread starter macrumors member

Very strange. Well it works over hdmi from my pc. but it's not dvi - hdmi, but anyway, it's hdmi. There must be some fix for this issue.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You can adjust it in OS X by clicking the Displays icon in System Preferences.

5. fikkser thread starter macrumors member

No, you can only change resolution?

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yeah... well, might be the output from the/a PC is more like any console, DVD-player and whatever, and just Mac's the Tatung didn't like...I didn't research it any further after getting a(n acceptable) solution. ;)

7. fikkser thread starter macrumors member

Yea. I might try vga. But it feels ****** having to pay for that also.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I know the feeling.

Luckily I found a use for the mini-DVI to DVI adapter: I use it to power a nice 24" Samsung screen at work. So it wasn't a total loss... ;)

9. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

What resolution are you using? 1440x900 won't work properly on your screen as you want it to, but 1280x720 should (I'm guessing your TV doesn't have 1080i/p)

10. fikkser thread starter macrumors member

Tried all resolutions as I said. Tried to clone the screen and use it as a separate. Got 1080i.

11. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

You might want to try DisplayConfigX or SwitchResX, look for them on Macupdate.com or versiontracker.com

12. rolandb5 macrumors newbie

13. fikkser thread starter macrumors member

Indeed very annoying. :) I'll try look at DisplayConfigX or SwitchResX as spacepower7 said (thank you sapcepower7 btw)! Hope it'll solve the problem.

14. patrick1234 macrumors member

i connecting macbook pro via minidisplay port-dvi then dvi-hdmi cable on my fullhd lcd and nothing, no picture....

what can i do?

15. fikkser thread starter macrumors member

Don't know. :\ But I know there are a few tvs that can't be connected to computers through hdmi. My friend has a Samsung that can't be connected for some reason. I don't know how it works, but I know they have talked about disableing full HD signal through hdmi so you can't record it, because it would compete with DVD's or something. But that's maybe only in Sweden?

Btw guys I tried DisplayConfigX and SwitchResX, and it doesn't work at all.:( And I don't feel like buying any of the two above just because apple cant make as good drivers as nvidia. I think I'm gonna call apple and ask, I'm getting frustrated and almost angry. Why does it work on 8600gt in windows and not on 9600 in os x?

Is there any custom gfx drivers for os x? Nvidia drivers for os x would solve my problem, but that's not going to happen?

16. patrick1234 macrumors member

yes, i have a fullhd samsung an i want use full hd.

i have had a picture today, but after switch off, not more....

so what can i do, hoping for a update?

you have the same problem or? you have the late macbook pro connected via minidisplay port-dvi then dvi-hdmi to LCD?

17. fikkser thread starter macrumors member

Wait for Windows 7. That's what I'd do. hehe.

I have mbp - minidisplay - dvi - hdmi adapter - hdmi - tv. But I get picture, even if it doesn't work properly. Have you tried with a pc? :D:mad: works fine for me then, + Nvidia drivers got alot of tweaking opitons which I need. :apple: ftw sometimes... As I said I'll call apple about my problem, wont help whineing in forums if no-one knows what to do. You should do the same.

Some more problems for those who care...

In school we got a mac pro hooked up to a 23" cinema disp + a 50" TV, and we get artifacts over the whole cinema disp (almost unuseable beacause of it) + the image gets outside the 50" display as it does on my tv with another mac, so you can't see that menu bar above with the :apple: thing. I don't know what to think. One thing for sure; the gfx drivers in os x is worthless in that matter.

If you are watching movies OK if 2 cm is outside the screen, but when you are using the screen for work, just forget it apple.

With apple things it just "works", therefor you need no tweaking options? What do you do when it fails, buy a PC or install Windows?

One thing more. Apple shouldn't make those ads about Windows because they can't get Logic 8 to work properly especially in surround, neither iphone, mine is so full of crap, hehe, safari crashes at random and I get 1000 dropped calls as soon as I turn 3g on + my screen doesn't wake up everytime someone calls so I cant answer, and more. This together is probably worse than all windows bugs from 95 to Vista.

(Yes I've been drinking (some) but I'll still be dissapointed of :apple: when I wake up)...

18. patrick1234 macrumors member