MBP Early 2008 Battery Help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 11colmil, Jul 31, 2012.

1. 11colmil macrumors member

11colmil

I just bought a used early 2008 MBP (last pre-unibody model) to use strictly for my college classes. Upon inspection everything was mint and in well working order except the battery. The issue isn't a normal "the battery is just dead" run of the mill, its strange. I can charge the MBP fully but it can drain down to about 85% and it shuts off. If I press the indicator button on the battery, four lights still light up even though I can't boot without it shutting off again.

I checked my battery information with coconutBattery. It reports back that the battery has only gone through 94 cycles and should have 43% health (or about 2427/5600 mAh). You would think that the battery would at least last longer than 7 minutes off of AC power.

I have a new battery on the way but is there any at least temporary solution to the problem in meanwhile?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like the battery may be close to finished, but you should try calibrating it to make sure you're getting accurate readings. The health could be higher or lower. Calibration will give you a more accurate picture. Read the CALIBRATION section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

3. 11colmil thread starter macrumors member

11colmil

I have calibrated the battery before and I still get the same numbers. What baffles me is that when the MBP shuts down, the physical battery indicator still show 4/5 lights. Its something I've never seen before…

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can try resetting the SMC, but if you've properly calibrated (be sure you have followed the instructions exactly, as many mistakenly think that simply draining/recharging is calibration), then there's not much more you can do except buy a new battery.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Sounds like the battery is toast. In the meantime, don't unplug it. :D

6. 11colmil thread starter macrumors member

11colmil

Thanks for your help. :) I ordered an Anker battery off of Amazon because it had much better reviews than the more expensive Apple battery. I guess I just have to wait for that. I always hated the idea of being tethered to an outlet with a "portable" computer.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement

8. TSNWork macrumors newbie

Related question that for some reason I've been unable to answer: I have a a 15" 2.4/2.2 GHz (which I gather is technically distinct from an Early 2008; "About This Mac" screen shot attached, just to confirm). I replaced the HDD and RAM last year and it still runs fine, but the battery (my second with this laptop) is completely shot.

Which battery should I buy to replace it:
    1) this or 2) something else?

Attached Files:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products:
    That one should work.

10. TSNWork macrumors newbie