MBP early 2008 died after upgrade to Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by edkeefe, Feb 27, 2012.

1. edkeefe macrumors newbie

Does anyone else have a similar problem. I've read about machines not sleeping and overheating but has it caused any machines to break. I called apple tech support after visiting the apple support forums and I was advised that it could be a known graphics card issue. Either way apple support said they would fix it free of charge. When I took it into the nearest apple store the 'genius' informed me that it wasn't the graphics card and tried to fob me off. Apple are now investigating to see if they should fix it. It would be very useful to hear if anyone else is having the same problem.

Symptoms:
    closed the lid on MBP 17 inch (running 3d software)
    returned 30 mins later opened lid to no response.
    tried restart
    light comes on dvd starts to spin and the machine turns off.

Apple still haven't diagnosed the problem and I've been without my computer for over a week now.

I'm a big apple fan and have used mac's and pc's for over 20 years despite having had regular hardware problems with apple machines and the worst customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. I still have two old dell laptops running as render machines and both are going strong.

ed

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has been noted and recognized to having the best customer service among its competitors. I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your MBP however :(

hopefully you'll get some news soon

3. shootist macrumors regular

I hate to say it but your MBP has probably got the bad graphics card in it.
    They were built between late 2007 and early 2008.

Problem is if Apple can't run diagnostic tests on it and get the code for the failed Graphic card they will not replace the logic board for free, and then even if they can the unit has to be less then 4 years old from date of purchase. It it older then that they won't replace for free.

I wish good luck.

4. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Billy, you in here?

Ed, you may be buggard. I'm not a mac guy so can't give ya much help on that front. I have heard a lot of horror stories about the way apple "takes care" of their computer users. Good luck on getting it figured out.

5. edkeefe thread starter macrumors newbie

update

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm now engaged in a legal fight with apple. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. The main point now is that they said they would fix it free of charge and now gone back on their word. Customer service was supposed to call me back after I made three calls to try to get an update. During my latest call to them they informed me that they can't find a recording of my initial call where they said they'd fix it. However I had to call them to find this out and was told that the person dealing with the issue would call me today. He didn't. Some great customer service there????

I've lost over a weeks work due to their mix up and also lost one client due to a missed dead line. Thanks again apple customer care.

The more I look about on the net I think my issue may be related to the machine overheating during sleep, after upgrading to Lion. Either way that is now irrelevant, apple told me they'd fix it, then they said if the record of the phone call agreed with my version they'd fix it, now they're stone walling me.

Once again I thank you apple customer care!

6. adlerger, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

adlerger macrumors newbie

Ditto

I closed the lid on my MacBook Pro 15" 2008 on 3/9 and it wouldn't come back on. Has been running hotter than usual after upgrading to 10.7 and the starting from sleep problems started with me having to move the mouse around to get little squares that finally showed me the sign-in icon.

I have been using Mac since 1987 and was a dealer and consultant from 1989-1999. Tried everything I knew. Went to the Genius Bar and they did eveything I already did. LOL...... Motherboard is dead. The funny thing, after it was dead and trying to start up, it kept burning up.

Now my next question is: Is this a major problem that Apple is ignoring? I didn't have the 2K to buy a new one, but my life is on it. Both my boys have exactly the same laptop and I refuse to update them

Any sharing of ideas is more than welcome.

G

7. shootist macrumors regular

It looks like you have one of the Mac's that has the bad Nvidia card in it. Early 2008 model.
    You are just out of the 4 year period so Apple won't do a thing for you.

8. adlerger macrumors newbie

Burnt up

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't buy it till June 2008 or so, and my kids' at Christmas that year when they were on close-out. So it should be from the purchase date, not the production date. No?

9. adlerger macrumors newbie

I agree

Read my other reply here. Class Action? Apple never stated that these models may have issues updating. Once the board is fried, it's too late.

macburntup@gmail.com

10. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

Macbook Pro woes are well known.

The aluminium Core2Duo Macbook Pro with GT8600M graphics card is well known for failure. My GF's son had his die in 2010, Apple replaced the logic board and all the components attached for free under AppleCare.
    Blaming Lion for what sounds like hardware failure is not the way forward. Point out the historical data that Apple have already accepted and demand a hardware replacement much like they have previously done for plenty of other customers.
    As for Lion (Apple's Vista) I wouldn't "upgrade" any Mac to it if I had Snow Leopard running on it already.
    Snowy ain't broken, I'm not gonna fix it.

11. shootist macrumors regular

Correct it is From Purchase Date. But the system must startup to a point that Apple can get a code from it for them to replace the logic board under the NVidia warranty. If it doesn't start you are SOL.

But there is not harm in trying.

Good Luck.