MBP Early 2008 Worth Repairing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arnoota, Jun 20, 2012.

1. arnoota macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have an early 2008 MBP with logic board (and graphics card?) that needs to be replaced. I had just bought the new MBA the day before my MBP stopped working--timing couldn't be better. I was planning on selling my MBP, but now will need to get it repaired to have it work again, which will cost a flat $310 to have everything repaired by Apple. Is it worth repairing only to turn around and sell, or do you think I can sell it as is and that someone will buy it for the parts?

Thank you for your advice!

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Just sell it as is. It's not worth your time and money to fix it all up just to turn around and sell it.

3. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I had a late 2008 and it was gonna cost $500 to fix. I just sold it and got the new 2012.

4. arnoota thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses! How much is reasonable to sell something like this?

----------

Also, because I can't turn it on without the logic board, wouldn't I be selling it with my hard drive unwiped or is there a way around that? Thanks again!

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Depends where you want to sell it, but I would think anything around $300 would be fair.

6. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

hook it up to a working mac via firewire and select target mode. then you can wipe the hard drive yourself.

7. arnoota thread starter macrumors newbie

8. dHk macrumors member

Upgrade the ram before you sell it. It will seem like a good dead for about 400 bucks.

9. narwhal macrumors newbie

I have the same MBP, and I actually found a guy near me (Sydney, AUS) that repaired my logic board for 100 bucks. Have a look on ebay and similar places for people that can do it for cheap, might be worth repairing if you dont need much power!

10. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Repair and sell. Give us more detailed specs to get better estimates. At minimum you should be able to sell for 600$ once fixed.