Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDriftKing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Belgium
I’m updating a 17’ MacBook Pro early 2009 (5,2) from Snow Leopard to Mavericks (for a friend), he asked me to perform a clean install. And so I did.
Erasing the HDD wasn’t any problem. So I booted my Mavericks installation USB. The installation started and everything went ok. After the first part of the installation process had completed, it automatically rebooted and gave a Kernel Panic. After the Mac had booted again it continued with step 2 and upon reboot I got a Kernel Panic again. To invoke step 3 I have to boot into safe mode. I tried reinstalling the OS multiple times and even changed the GUID to MBR and tried to install Windows. No luck at all. I can boot into safe mode so I assume the installation was performed correctly.

After the Mavericks installation is complete I can’t boot :
  • from the internal HDD
  • from the internal recovery partition
  • from an external HDD (Old HDD from my personal MBP 15’ – 100% working)
  • from the original Snow Leopard installation CD
  • from a Windows install DVD
  • from a Linux install DVD/CD (Ubuntu)

I can boot from:
  • my Mavericks install USB

I can boot into:

• safe mode*
  • single user mode
  • cmd + r

I can’t test:
  • targeted mode (no firewire cable)
  • Hirens boot CD (Black screen on booting)

I performed:

• disk utility check
  • PRAM and SMC reset
  • Single user mode fsck –fy (multiple times)(no problems found)
  • Apple Hardware Test (no problems found)
  • MemTest (no problems found)

I checked:
  • EFI hash code is correct
  • Firmware is at its latest version
  • I get POST sound on start-up

*booting into safe mode sometimes results in a kernel panic, but a second try boots without problems.

When I boot into safe mode, and check the console I got this error: Opendirectoryd: sandbox cache error 3850

http://i.imgur.com/wUs4DN2.png

Can anyone help me? I’m out of idea’s..

** All the KP’s I got said this: BSD process name corresponding to current thread: WindowServer

Here is the corresponding kernel panic:
http://pastebin.com/9bdXgBpM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.