MBP early 2011 charging problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anchorth, Mar 26, 2013.

1. anchorth macrumors newbie

Hello. I am having problems with my MBP charging. Before, I had a charger that would only work if I turned it a certain way and wiggled it until it worked. I thought the charger was the problem so I took it to the Apple store and got it replaced.

Now, with the new charger, it worked at first perfectly fine but lately its been acting weird. Sometimes I hear electric crackling coming from it. Today, even though it was plugged it, the laptop died completely. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and all the charger did was stay green. I flipped it the other way then all it did was show a very very dim green light. I replugged it once more and it turned green and then orange like its supposed to, the computer says its charging, but it stays at 0%. This has been happening and I got it to charge once after this happened, but it died again and I haven't been able to get it above 0% again.

I looked at the actual port on the computer and either side of it is barely black, like its burnt. I'm afraid this might be the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: I should say, the charger works fine on my girlfriends MBP.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like the port is the problem. Take it to Apple and let them check it out.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. anchorth thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. I have extended Applecare, but I have to say, I cracked my trackpad some time ago and recently replaced it myself. The charger before was behaving crazy and the port was already black before I replaced it, however. Will this be a problem?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's hard to say. Let them look at it and they'll tell you what repairs are needed and if they'll be covered by AppleCare. Only Apple can give you definitive answers.