MBP early 2011 or late 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Liquinn, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Shall I buy a MBP now or wait for the refresh/redesign? I don't want to buy something now and a few months later something new comes out :(

2. Minhthien macrumors 6502

You should buy it now because they just updated the new MBP when Lion released! Look at Best Buy they actually said "NEW"! MBP refesh wont happen until next year. So if you need it just get it now.

3. wegster macrumors 6502

What update, a keyboard sticker?
    I'd expect a real refresh to be happening before year end.
    The real question for me is simply what they'll be removing (optical drive, firewire, possibly going all SSD), and if it will be on this refresh or the next one. If they do move the Pros the way of the Air, lots of people will be looking at finding the current gen Pros, IMO.
    If you *need* a new system *now*, get it. If you can hold off 6 months or less, I'd wait to see what the refresh brings and then decide.

4. Ironsoccerman macrumors member

5. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Genuinely curious, what leads you to that conclusion?

Ivy won't be made widely available 'til [late] Q1.

ATI 7000m series won't either. Nor will Nvidia 600m series.

SSDs aren't seeing drastic price changes either.

Optical drive is the only thing undergoing a transition, sort of.

Why would there be a processor bump? What magical processors will Apple have developed?

6. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

What about this deal. If you buy a Kindel Special offers for $114 buy Monday and activate it. It give you a 20% discount coupon for Amazon on select Apple computers.

I could get the base 15" for $1,693.95
    You Save:
    $105.05 (6%)

Minus 20% = $1355.16 That seems like a pretty sweet deal on a $1799 laptop. I have the 2010 13" MBA, but I am not found of the screen quality. I am really tempted at that price.

7. dsio macrumors regular

^ This.

Apple doesn't have a choice but to follow intel's roadmap, they don't make their own X86 chips.

8. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Here is Intel's Roadmap...

http://motherboardnews.com/2011/04/1...idge-and-more/

Q4 2011. This is where things start to get interesting as the LGA 1366/X58 platform gets phased out to make room for the enthusiast-grade Sandy Bridge-E (SNB-E) using the LGA 2011/X79 platform.

You don't need Ivy-Bridge Processors to release a new design, there is still faster Sandy-Bridge chips yet to be release!

9. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

10. thinkinblue613 macrumors 6502

thinkinblue613

11. dsio macrumors regular

Yes, you do... The Sandy Bridge E chips are wonderful, I've actually got my pre-order in with Softlayer to get some of the quad-socket versions as soon as they launch, however, they have a TDP of 130W, and are server chips. The Desktop variants also have a massive TDP of 130W (compared to 45W for the highest current MBP chip and 55W for the extreme edition mobile quad that Apple does not use).

Ivy-Bridge is the next chip... Q1 2012.

12. glis macrumors member

Stop posting BS. Both next generation AMD and Nvidia GPUs will be out this year.

13. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Mobile parts can come up to half a year after the desktop SKU, so basically nobody knows anything.

To the OP, unless you're looking for some specific feature, you may be waiting forever. Just get one now.

14. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Last estimates were late Q4 2011 for it to become available. Factor in a few weeks for chips to get shipped and implemented, factor in mobile development for said generation, factor in the fact that Apple is rarely early to the hardware party, and you're looking at mid-late Q1 2012 for Apple. Earliest. Furthermore, chips were announced delayed. In fact, Nvidia confirmed 2012 release.

Stop posting BS.

15. juzmacman macrumors newbie

Maybe a speed bump before Ivy Bridge in 2012 ?

It's possible that some processor speeds may go up a notch or two, but with 45W TDP limits, it's hard to see them going much higher than 2.4 or 2.5GHz.
    As for changes to the system, doubt there will be anything else modified before Ivy bridge as we've already got Thunderbolt and doubt the Pro versions will lose the optical drive by the next refresh. They will have to retain FireWire 800 ports for sometime as there are a lot of us still with peripherals...

16. dsio macrumors regular

There really are no speed bumps to be had, there already is a 2.5 Extreme Edition but it has a 55W TDP, short of a die-shrink they've already reached the limit of Sandy Bridge on the current process, the next process is Ivy-Bridge.

17. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I think if it's just a refresh with no redesign, I'll hold off buying it.

I want the redesign, I will wait for as long as it takes.

18. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Waiting for the Redesigned MacBook Pro also... even IF it's not until 2012.. I have a computer that can get me by until then.