MBP Early 2011 - repair or replace?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dgs1301, Dec 13, 2014.

1. dgs1301 macrumors newbie

First time poster but have been lurking here a while. My wife's early 2011 MBP had an unfortunate meeting with a cup of coffee a while ago - it was closed but on at the time so nothing made it into the keyboard, but the liquid did make it in from underneath.

The battery still charges normally but when I start up I get a blank screen and the DVD drive spins for a while and the fan runs, then nothing.

I have opened it up and (a) recovered data from the HD using a USB enclosure and (b) have removed the logic board and cleaned with iso-propyl alcohol to try to remove any contaminants/corrosion. I am pretty certain the Logic Board is fried and in Canada that part seems to be at least $350 refurbished with limited warranty.

I am considering either repairing the existing MBP (13"/i5 2.3 Ghz/4Gb/320Gb HD) and then upgrading it with a SSD and more memory or or repairing then selling to then buy new or selling it as is for parts and buying new. Any suggestions what is the best route to go here?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Considering the cost I would simply sell it for parts - which can still net you some cash. The computer itself is probably worth less than $500.

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Sell it for parts is what I would do, and then put that moolah towards a new one.

4. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

By blank screen do you mean grey/blue/red?

Try leaving it on with the lid closed and the fans blazing...in a laptop bag until it overheats. Then try to turn it on again, it MIGHT be the GPU causing problems. If you can get it to turn on using the Integrated GPU you can at least rule some things out.