MBP Early 2011 Right speaker issue (Desperate) ..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dahem, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Dahem macrumors newbie

So, couple of months ago the right speaker of my MBP stopped working for some reason (Yes! I tried system preferences,Audio midi setup resetting everything etc..) So my only last hope was to replace the hardware.

I bought the speaker + sub-woofer and changed them today, still no sound coming out of the right side. I'm really desperate, and i can't take it to apple for help. Anyone ?

2. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

if its not the speaker component most likely its the portion of the board where meets the speaker.

Why cant you take it to the apple store?

3. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

probably stolen, out of warranty, has damages that he hasn't disclosed, ect ect.

4. MkVsTheWorld macrumors regular

I've taken Apple products to the Apple store while out of warranty and they'd at least take a peek and tell me what's wrong at no cost. Then, I'd fix it myself at home for a fraction of the cost.

Have you tried formatting the Mac and doing a clean install of OS X?

5. Dahem thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean it might be part of the motherboard ? If so how would I go about that?

No Sir, I didn't steal anything. I'm just not in the US anymore, no close apple stores around.

I really don't think it's a software problem because sometimes when I move the device the sound comes from the right speaker for a second then goes off again.

it's a 13" early 2011.

6. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Just to step back a second - before stepping it up to a full logic board replacement, have you tried reinstalling Mac OS?

If you have replaced the right speaker assembly and it still doesn't work, something has likely failed on the logic board (motherboard). You can't typically repair the logic board it is more of an all or nothing repair where you would get a technician to put in a replacement.

7. Dahem thread starter macrumors newbie

No I didn't try reinstalling OSX, I still don't think it's a software problem though.
    So the only way to fix this is by replacing the motherboard ? Might as well get a new Macbook... *sigh*

8. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

System Preferences > Sound _ *Balance *

Just in case it may be 'unbalanced' ~ ~ have you checked in: 'System Preferences > Sound > Output' (and perhaps a set of headphones) to make sure the Balance is NOT all the way to the Left..?? I have definitely had my 2011 MBP pan itself all the way over to one side for 'no apparent reason to me'.. :confused:

Drag it to Center and fixed, for a while!! :apple:

9. Dahem thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that first thing :p

10. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

I would see if there would be a way to call Apple and see if they could fix the problem with out replacing the board. Highly doubt it since they go straight to replacing boards when ever there is indeed a issue. Prices are outrageous when this needs to be replaced.

Second option could be to find an experienced laptop technician and have him check the location where the speaker connects to the board and see if the tech could possibly fix it with out replacing the board. Could be some simple soldering.

I don't mess with boards. However in a passed experience my Gf had a laptop with a coffee spill. The laptop died horribly and Apple said it would need a board replacement. I took it to a good friend who works on laptops and he was able to fix the board and get the laptop back to working condition.

Goodluck

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Same problem with speakers or headphones plugged into the audio out socket?

12. jg321 macrumors 6502

I had this on the exact same model. Speakers replaced under AppleCare, no better. It had a new logic board which fixed the issue.