MBP Early 2011 + Samsung 830 SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Winter Charm, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Now that amazon is selling the 256GB 830 SSD for around $300, I'm seriously considering buying it, but I have a few questions:

(http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-830-Series-MZ-7PC256N-Internal/dp/B005T3GPXY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

:apple: Does it play nice with the macbook pro, since apple uses samsung drives for some of their MacBooks (the air, I think)

:apple: Does TRIM work? Can it be enabled? Is it necessary if the drive already has garbage collection?

:apple: Does it work with the SATA 6Gb/s connection? (I have heard intel ssd's have issues with this)

:apple: and finally, what adjustments do I need to make to OS X Lion for proper running on an SSD?

Thanks in advance for any and all help/tidbits of information provided!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

1. Yes. This SSD will work fine and from forum reports is one of the more reliable/compatible drives out there.

2. TRIM will not work natively upon install. You will need to enable the TRIM hack to get TRIM to work. This SSD has native garbage collection in firmware and TRIM is not really necessary.

3. Yes.

4. None. Install it and use it.

3. Winter Charm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Awesome! thank you so much. I believe I have found my precious! :D

4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

5. b0rg macrumors member

Does it play nice with the macbook pro, since apple uses samsung drives for some of their MacBooks (the air, I think)

>Yes it works great

Does TRIM work? Can it be enabled? Is it necessary if the drive already has garbage collection?

>TRIM work if you patch your OSX but garbage collection works also.

Does it work with the SATA 6Gb/s connection? (I have heard intel ssd's have issues with this)

>Yes it works but there are some logic boards that why have SATA3 issues.

and finally, what adjustments do I need to make to OS X Lion for proper running on an SSD?

>Yes, http://poller.se/2010/08/optimizing-mac-os-x-for-ssd-drives/