MBP (early 2011) vs 21" iMac (newest)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pvclex, Feb 29, 2012.

1. pvclex macrumors newbie

Hey... I have been offered a trade for my early 2011 MacBook pro (2.3 Ghz I5, 320gb) for a new 21" iMac. I'm tempted to take it, mainly for the faster processor and increased storage. As it is, my MBP doesn't leave the office, so I'm not concerned about portability.

Just looking for a 2nd opinion here. Think it's a good deal? Many thanks in advance!!!

2. Vook macrumors member

Vook

One day, youre gonna wish you had the portability.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

4. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Aren't 21" iMacs much cheaper? It's not an equivalent trade if their new values are like $500 apart.

5. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Keep your Pro, I have both and much prefer the Pro to my iMac. You'll be much happier with your pro, plus depending on the specs on the iMac you may be losing out on more that just portability, you may lose value as well.

6. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

If you are wanting a larger display, why not add an external display? I use a 24" NEC with my 13" MBP. It's convenient to simply unplug my primary Mac and take it with me, with no hassles keeping two Macs in sync.

My 24" iMac will be my last. I do not care for the "glassy" iMac displays. iMacs also lack basic ergonomic adjustments; I was barely able to make my iMac usable. I suffered from severe neck pain until I cobbled-together a solution. My NEC display can be lowered to within 3" of the desktop; other NEC displays can be lowered even further.

7. hotgrease macrumors regular

For the base 13" it's not a terrible trade IMO, especially if the warranty is almost up.