MBP early 2011 vs MBA 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hmartine, Nov 23, 2013.

1. hmartine macrumors newbie

I found similar threads to this one, but none of them (of those I looked) answer my question. I would like you help selecting one out of the two following options:

1. On my MacBook Pro 8.1, Intel Core I7 2.7 GHz (Dual core) 8 GB RAM, with Snow leopard: I would like to change the hard drive from HDD (5400 RPM) to SSD (either Samsung 840 Pro or one of the Intel from the new series). So the computer will be faster.

or

2. Buy a new Mac Book Air 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 128GB flash storage (specification taken from apple web side). I know the second option is much expensive than the first one.

My current MBP is working great, I have no problems at all, but sometimes, I wish It would be a bit faster and I know the SSD would help. However, sometimes I also want I much lighter computer (I carry it with me frequently).

Bottom line, I do NOT want to downgrade the performance!...Which option would you suggest? do you have a 3rd option?

I was trying to find some Xbench or Geekbench values, but I am not familiar with those tests and I am not sure if they would be helpful to compare. My xbench value on my MBP overall is 180 (CPU=249, Thread=486, Memory=588, Quartz=336, OpenGL=154, User interface=529, Disk = 50). The Geekbench (free version on 32 bit) = 2591 (Single core) and 5241 (multi-core).

Any help is highly appreciated.

All the best to you all.

2. neteng101 macrumors 65816

The processor on the 2 are pretty comparable, but you have to order the 13" with 8GB as you won't be able to upgrade it later. The SSD is of course cheaper since even if you sold your old laptop, it likely will cost more to get the Air, but if you get the Air it will be all new vs. a 2 year old laptop.

If you get the SSD I'd say go with the 840 Pro.

Your other option is to go somewhere in between - with the 13" retina Pro, but that of course comes at a higher price point. You're probably better off getting the mid-tier model with 8GB and 256GB SSD if you choose this route... its the best value, and it should last you a good long time.