MBP Education Order shipping times

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dragonbong, May 4, 2010.

1. dragonbong macrumors member

Hi all,

For the education orders for MBP's, I'm wondering what the wait times have been. I ordered from my Institutions computer store and I asked them to check my order:

Order date April 19th. Still hasn't shipped. :(

I know that Edu orders usually puts it down the priority list, but this seems rather long to still be in the "build" process.

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I ordered with my edu discount on April 28 and today it went into 'Prepared for Shipment'. I doubt it makes any difference when you order via the education store.

3. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

When I bought mine two weeks ago through the education store I ordered it on the Monday and it was delivered to my house next day.

4. gcdrwhom macrumors member

I've bought BTO/CTO Macs with academic discounts (and bought computers without academic discounts) and never noticed any substantial delays in their construction or delivery. The two types of orders seem to be treated the same.

You should call and ask what's up.

5. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

If you order from the apple.com edu store then there are no additional delays. It will be treated just like any other order. It sounds like maybe you didn't order from apple.com

6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Ordered my 15" i7, only BTO option i did was hi-res anti glare display. Ordered on the 28th, shipped yesterday via UPS (I'm in Canada).

7. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

Have ordered from the Edu Store for years. Never any difference than a Apple Store order.

Most recent Edu Store order:

Order: 5-1-10
    15" AG i7 7200HD 4g

Left China on 5-3-10.
    In Memphis today scheduled for delivery by 4:30p est 5-7-10 to Upstate, NY.
    :apple:

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Seems really long. I've ordered several times through the Edu. store online and no problems. Actually my last MBP I order arrived 3 days early.

If you ordered through your school, that might be the problem since the school year is ending. They probably go through another source. I suggest you call them vs posting on the web. You can contact them online too, which is probably quicker.

9. dragonbong thread starter macrumors member

The order was not through the EDU store online. It was through the University Comp store. Guess this will be the last time I order from them..:mad:

Thought it would be easier as I work for the School and quick to pick up during work, no need to wait for the fed ex guy. I'll get my CTO number and call Apple directly as they seem to be slow. Should it matter that I'm Canadian :rolleyes: ;)

10. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

No it shouldn't matter if you are in Canada. If there wasn't a price difference from apple.com vs your campus store... I would have purchased online at the Apple Store. It's almost been a month for your order to arrive. imo that's way way too long.

11. dragonbong thread starter macrumors member

Just got off the phone with Apple Edu. The order was "bumped" already and has a ship date of May13th!?!?! They will try to get it shipped out earlier but I'm not holding my breath. Doesn't make sense it should take this long, they state "supply and demand", I countered with "the same order has been received by my coworkers who ordered right of the EDU website and not through the reseller".

The account manager for my University obviously did not want me remove my order and reorder through the website. They are going to try to expedite the order and will contact me again on the 10th of May. This is so frustrating. For anyone else ordering EDU, just order straight off the website, save yourself the headache of a campus reseller!

12. Reapur macrumors regular

Depending on where you live in Canada, you could just goto an Apple Store and get your EDU discount right there with your student ID. If you upgraded the HD however you would have to CTO the machine off the website, or goto a 3rd party authorized reseller that has technicians in the store who will do the upgrade on site. I personally bought the computer from an Apple Store and upgraded the hard drive my self. The RAM and Hard Drive are both user replaceable and will not void the warranty. However the new hardware you install will not be covered under Apple warranty thats all.

13. dragonbong thread starter macrumors member

It was for the 7200 rpm drive, high res matte i7. At this point it would be only a few days difference for me to order the CTO online, and that's still not a guarantee that it wouldn't get bumped. A more detailed explanation was that the online store through Apple reviews a different set of warehouses than the reseller. Seems to put the reseller at a disadvantage if that's the case.