MBP emergency!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nhcowboy1, Sep 1, 2012.

1. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

Computer froze and we shut it off . . . but when we tried to restart, all we got was a white screen with the Apple logo in the center . . . and it never made it past that. Tried three times.

We have the startup disk . . . but really don't want to lose everything on the computer if we can help it. Help . . . please!!!

"We," by the way, is mom on one side of the country - me - asking for help on behalf of son on the other side of the country at school.

Thank you!!!

Oh, almost forgot - it's a 2009, I believe, probably running snow leopard.

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Sounds like a failed HDD. Hopefully the data is backed up to an external HDD ;)

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

That shouldn't be a problem, just recover from your backup.

4. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay . . . what backup?

The kid isn't backing things up . . . so if he loses what's on his hard drive, he's toast. (Yes, I guess this will teach him to back things up!)

What about trying a safe reboot and disc first aid . . . any chance that would work?

5. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

If he can boot into recovery mode then it might work in disk utility to repair the disk. Hold down the "option" key while restarting and see if that works. However I'm not sure if this works for 2009 models.

6. bill-p macrumors 65816

Alternatively, if he can somehow access another Mac, and if he can take the hard drive out of his current Mac and put it into an enclosure, it's quite simple and straightforward to back up his data from that point on.

7. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Huh? Sorry . . . please explain.

I thought if the hard drive was dead, the data was lost . . .

8. bill-p macrumors 65816

Chances are that if the Apple logo is shown, it's a kernel panic rather than a dead hard drive. A dead hard drive wouldn't show the Apple logo at all from my experience.

A kernel panic means the hard drive is not dead, and something might just be off... or missing. Data should still be there.

9. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Try safe boot. Hold shift on start up. Or boot to startup disk and repair disk and permissions.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It does sound like a bad drive.

Try this.

You said you have the original install DVD yes? Put that in and restart the machine while holding down the C key... that will boot to the DVD. When the install screen comes up on the DVD look under the Utilities menu for Disk Utility. In Disk Utility select the Macintosh HD drive and tell Disk Utility to repair the disk. When the disk repair is done quit the installer, remove the DVD and restart.

11. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mid-2010, by the way. Not 2009.

Safe boot --> No go. Same white screen with Apple logo. He gets the start-up chime then it goes to the white screen. And doesn't go any further.

Boot from install disk --> Also, no go. Same result.

Running out of options, I'm afraid.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Next step would be remove the hard drive from the iMac and put it in an external enclosure and see if another Mac can read the drive.

It could be the main board in the iMac is bad and the drive is okay and the bad board just won't let the computer see the drive.

13. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Under warranty via AppleCare? I suspect not. :(

I think by the time everyone here is done throwing the kitchen sink at you, an appointment at an Apple Store (or certified service center) would be more beneficial. Especially since you're doing this long-distance.

14. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not something he can do himself, I'm afraid. Would target disc mode be an option?

That certainly would be good news!

And, yes, of course he has Applecare - and already has an appointment set for the end of the day today. So, yes, at this point, it's just speculation . . . but if there's a chance he hasn't lost his hard drive, that's something he'd like to hear, while he's waiting.

This wasn't a three-day vacation for him, unfortunately - so he's already likely lost most of the work he did yesterday, and will probably not be able to recover in time for an exam he's supposed to sit for later today. So, if there's a chance that he hasn't lost everything . . . well, it helps.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... if the logic board is bad and can't see the drive (assumption), I doubt target disk mode would see it either. If a friend nearby has a Mac it sure would be worth a try though.

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Is he holding down the correct key at the correct time? Option should bring up the boot select screen, he can select the drive he wants to boot from there.

Target disk mode is a good tool. It's definitely worth a try.

17. 725032 Guest

Always back up your data... Your son has learnt a valuable lesson

You as well

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Really? Honestly... you don't think the OP knows this. OP already mentioned it at the beginning of the thread. What exactly was the point of your post. Not helpful.

19. 725032 Guest

It is 100% helpful as the OP and her son have learnt a very important life lesson

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would think it's possible it's bad RAM? The data sounds like it can be savaged anyhow. Does your son have a friend who's good with computers? Have them take it apartment and put the HDD in an external enclosure and try to retrieve data from another computer.

No, it doesn't help because:
    1) It doesn't resolve the issue at hand;
    2) The OP already stated she knows about backing up.

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Um no... OP already recognized the mistake. Your post did nothing but make you feel good.

22. 725032 Guest

I'm sorry you do not see any value in my contribution. However, this is an open forum. I would suggest simply not replying if you don't like what a fellow member has added.

Have a nice day.

23. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Point taken, though. I could have insisted . . . and I didn't.

24. nhcowboy1 thread starter macrumors 6502

The End of the Story

So, after two trips to the Apple store, the diagnosis was operating system failure. They were able to transfer most of my son's files . . . although not everything, due to corruption. Switched out the hard drive, replaced his files, and now he's good to go.

And, they let him keep the old hard drive, so he can make another attempt to get any remaining files. Then he can reformat it and . . . (drum roll, please) . . . use it as his backup drive!

Thanks to all who stepped up to respond to my post and offer advice . . . it was much appreciated!!!

25. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Interesting I have the same problem at hand now, at first it wasn't going past the apple screen logo, I inserted the Installation CD booted up from there tried to install Mac Os X but the HD showed a yellow exclamation mark, btw did yours show that at all? I took it to the apple store and they said HD failure... I tried a new HD on my own but my laptop doesnt recognize it, now I am thinking it's not an HD issue after all maybe something else...