MBP English Power Cord?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr McKay, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Im thinking about picking up a Macbook Pro in New York when I go on holiday there, because of the vast cheapness in comparison.

Will there be anywhere I can pick up a British plug for the MBP when I get back? Will the Apple Stores in the UK have one?

Also will I be charged import fees when taking it back with me?

(Also what are the odds on me being able to bag Military Discount in the US? Ive been to America once before, and was offered it in a restaurant when I dropped my wallet and my Royal Air Force ID slipped out and was picked up by a waitress)

2. Tabris82 macrumors member

Tabris82

I would recommend that you buy the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit when you pick up your MBP in NY. Better prices in US stores and, from what I hear, it's a solid product. :)

Hope you have a good trip!

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

4. Dr McKay thread starter macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Thanks for the replies, so that figure 8 cable will work in the MPB power brick?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yeah. I use standard figure-8 cables in mine as extensions all the time.

6. macbrighton macrumors newbie

Is it possible to change one of the Fn keys to £?

7. bigjobby macrumors 65816

... or just get one of these.

Dump the packaging, sling the MBP (and bits) in your backpack, walk through customs and pretend you travelled with your laptop. That should take care of the duties.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Alt + 3 (option + 3 on US keyboards) does the trick.

9. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Just buy one of these and use your standard US power cable. That is what I use with my MBP bought from the US and used in Europe :).

About customs and duties... I didn't have any problems carrying it through customs. Though I carried it in my backpack, not in the original retail box. The box was disassembled and put in my luggage :D. But anyway I just walked on the "Nothing to declare" line.

10. GrimTon macrumors newbie

to OP, when are you heading out there? im going next week. wondering what the stock availabilty is going to be like.

11. bluespaceoddity, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

http://www.diybasics.co.uk/WiringAPlug.html

Edit:
    Since the price of the MBP will be over the £390 personal allowance you legally have to declare the MBP and pay VAT. (20%)

12. bluntmachetti macrumors newbie

No you dont. Laptops are exempt from that rule

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I was about to ask for a source as I didn't think this was true. It seems you are partially correct. As from this page there is no import duty on laptops. But VAT is chargeable at rate S (the standard rate).

14. DivineEvil macrumors regular

This is only if you order them on the internet and they get delivered to the UK. Nobody is going to VAT your laptop if it's carried outside of the original retail box...

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why? The Apple World Travel Adapter Kit is possibly one of the biggest scams out there. Just buy a plug adapter and stick it on the end of the extension cord.

16. bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

People doing this should be aware that it is legally considered smuggling and tax evasion.

17. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Lol?! By buying it in the US I have payed all the taxes there... Sales tax and the price. This is neither smuggling (it is not intendend to be sold afterwards) nor tax evasion (already payed the US taxes)...

18. bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

H.M. Revenue and Customs has a different idea about that and the OP or people with a similar plan and question should be aware of it. Rather than trust a poster on an forum he/she can verify with the telephone number the HMRC provides just for that reason rather than possibly face arrest and a fine during a random inspection of the "Nothing to declare" line.

19. bluespaceoddity, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

Why did you feel the need to take this "precaution"? Would you have carried the MBP in the original packaging if you had not "suspected" there "might" be some taxes involved in bringing a new MBP into the UK?

Why did a previous poster also mention "Dump the packaging, sling the MBP (and bits) in your backpack, walk through customs and pretend you travelled with your laptop. That should take care of the duties."?

20. macbrighton macrumors newbie

So apart from the power cord and the £ sign are there any other differences between US and UK models.

Just done the math and US prices are +20% cheaper in the US. WOW!

21. molala macrumors 6502a

Keyboard differences - The shape of the return key is different, shift key different length on the right side too. So if you are going to get a Moshi keyboard cover for instance, the ones sold in the UK would not be compatible.

I would buy from the US if I had the chance. Hope you get there after the MBP's are updated.