MBP entering spaces non-stop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mad cow disease, May 5, 2013.

1. mad cow disease macrumors member

My MBP recently started acting like someone is hitting the space key nonstop. It's making the computer unusable. I have it set up as a desktop replacement, using a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I have looked into the following:

1) I thought it was the BT keyboard acting up (it's nearly 8 years old), but disconnecting it and removing it from the list of BT devices - the issue persists.
    2) I thought maybe something was pushing down on the MBP's keyboard - the issue persists even with the display flipped up.
    3) Tapping the MBP's space bar seems to fix the issue for a second, then without hitting any other keys, it starts up again with the spaces. Doesn't seem to be a stuck space bar. Given that I haven't used the MBP keyboard in ages, this makes sense.
    4) Haven't messed with the keyboard settings in ages, so that is not the problem.
    5) Tried a reboot - no dice.

Any thoughts?

2. justperry, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Make a new User Account (If possible with this problem), login into that account and see if the issue persists, if not your normal User Account is giving you these problems.

3. mad cow disease thread starter macrumors member

So does that mean you think that a .plist file has gone corrupt somewhere?

I just don't see the connection between the user profile and the keyboard input.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Just try it, or hold the Shift key instantly after hitting Enter when login or upon startup.

It can be many things, the easiest way to find out if it is System wide or just the User Account is to make a new User, as simple as that.

5. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

It's to check whether it's the keyboard there's doing this or not.

Create a new user profile and see if the problem persists. If not, it's probably a corrupt configuration somewhere (or some setting/software doing this).

If it persists, it's probably your keyboard or something.