[MBP] Essential Things to Do before Play..?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamin., Feb 27, 2008.

1. jamin. macrumors regular

I am going to be a 1st time MBP/Mac Owner, I'm wondering if people could tell me the essential things to do when you first get a MBP. Do I reinstall the OS, do I install anything?

If you can't be bothered explaining, is their perhaps any good online guides and stuff for new Mac Owners?

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Uh, no. Why would you do this in the first place? You don't have to do this on a PC when you first buy it....

If you're a switcher, just order it, unbox it, and enjoy. Believe me, that ALL you'll need to do.... :cool:

Welcome in advance!

MacDann

3. Help! macrumors regular

Some people reinstall the OS when they first get a mac, I never have and haven't had any problems that im aware of.

4. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I have to ask - why? I'm not sure I understand what that would accomplish, unless it's used and you want to be absolutely sure it's a clean install.

MacDann

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

installing something from out of the box completely destroy the idea of plug and play.
    i use both windows and mac.. even with windows, i don't start installing/reinstalling the OS:D

6. WHM macrumors regular

Very Simple

Open the box and once you get to the computer, turn it on and follow instructions. Personally I do not reinstall the software to eliminate the extra languages and print drivers. On my wife's MacAir I did because the HH is so small but normally this should not be an issue! :apple:

7. mchank macrumors regular

I always reinstall the OS to remove the printer drivers and uneeded languages: this saves a few gigs. There are programs that can do this but they have been reported to cause problems and reinstalling only takes about ~30 mins so why not? You may want to calibrate your battery.

8. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I've never heard of it done with macs, but if you buy a sony or a dell, many people will to eliminate all of the bloatware.

No bloatware in macs...

9. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Ah-hah! That never occurred to me. I've looked at the extra files and in all honesty, if you're that desperate for space, you had better get a bigger drive or use an external....

MacDann

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

11. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Conversely, why would you willingly waste space? It costs you 30 minutes for gigs on your hard drive over the life of the machine? Considering the $ cost of getting a bigger hard drive, I imagine the time cost/benefit ratio would make sense to just put in a bit of effort/time. :p

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes, install the OS if it's a USED mac.

No, if it's NEW or REFURB (like new).

13. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

the advantage of buying mac is the " plug and play" feature..
    even your great great 98 yr old computer literate grandma can handle it!:D

14. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I would just say look at some of the must have apps and download those.

ChrisN

15. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

The only suggestion I have is to calibrate the battery once it arrives and you have set it up.

For this, simply run the battery out all the way until it shuts down (goes to sleep) and then recharge

Enjoy!

16. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

Hey I think you should reinstall the OS and save yourself that 1 gig of space...why not, it's your first Mac. It will give you a chance to play around with it and doesn't take too long - also install X11.

After you're done start installing software - get a game to play on it. Install VLC, perian, and Handbrake. Install neo office or ms office. Then install GIMP or GIMPShop and play around with that. Get your music files on it too.

17. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

I reinstalled the OS when i first got the MBP because I didn't want all the extra software that it came with (ilife, office). I don't mind waiting for the OS to reinstall because I knew that I was getting rid of software that I will never use.

-JoE

18. adamschneider macrumors newbie

My new MBP will be arriving in the next couple days and I'd like to save that extra GB or two... what exactly is the procedure for doing a "clean install" using the Leopard DVD? Is there an option in the Installer to wipe everything currently on the machine?

19. wwwchrisde macrumors member

I'm with PC too for a long time now and the first thing I always did was installing the OS (well I never bought a PC that was ready built ;) ) so I had to install the OS after I assembled all the parts :D

I wait for my first Mac and will enjoy the moment of unboxing and simply starting it without having to assemble it in some ways :apple: too sad I have to wait until march 10th for delivery.

20. adamschneider macrumors newbie

{bump} anyone?

21. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Just pop in the restore discs and boot to it, holding 'c' key when you start up your MBP. Go through the screen until you see a 'customize' button in the lower right hand corner. You can manually select what you want and don't want on your MBP. I just only installed OS and nothing else. It only took up roughly 7 GB of space after the reinstall.

-JoE

22. adamschneider macrumors newbie

Should I do it before I even turn it on for the first time?

23. jturn00 macrumors member

check out www.myfirstmac.com As a first time mac user, that site is giving me some great ideas on being a first mac user.

Right now I am planning on doing"
    1. start up the mac an make sure it is ok. No visible flaws.
    2. install additional memory
    3. get appzapper, 1 passowrd, and handbrake
    3a. move my itunes library
    4. install bootcamp
    5. install quicken and move my quicken files.
    6. Migrate the rest of my data.
    7. Done.

EDIT: Take my windoze laptop and put ubuntu on it.

24. adamschneider macrumors newbie

I've been using Macs since 1989. :)

I've just never thought of doing a clean install before even starting to use the machine...