MBP Ethernet Light?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SirStuey, Feb 28, 2011.

1. SirStuey macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm on my first MBP (13.3"), and noticed that my ethernet jack works, but doesn't light up when connected.

My other desktops and laptops all have LEDs in or next to the jack, but the MBP doesn't seem to have any LEDs built in.

But, I saw a pic of a MBP in a review, and it shows a lit ethernet plug. So I'm wondering, do some MBPs have ethernet connectivity LEDs, or is the reviewer using a cable with built-in LED?

Thanks, and sorry if this is too much of a bonehead question.

2. PAPO macrumors 6502

yeh a bit of a silly question but I won't hold it against you ;) as far as I know apple Laptops have never had an ethernet activity LED

3. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

I don't think there's a light in there... My MBP doesn't light up the ethernet jack.

Apple is quite averse to LEDs :p

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

True, though i don't know about the Mac Pro but I know the airport extreme has link and act lights on each port. Relatively discreet from the sides but bright enough to see from a distance.

But no, the MBP has no network or disk leds. Only the battery led and power leds.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They only have a link LED. The UFO's had an act LED.

6. SirStuey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the clarification!

That's about what I thought, but I couldn't find any concrete answers via google and figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. This frees up my time to research other things, like how to network the MBP to my PC computers and printer.