Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DYER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
Hi all I seriously need some help as I am not despairing at what is happening.
I have a self built File server which is running a linux file server os and has run with anything I ever wanted untill now.
It has gigabit ethernet and normally gives me a 25-30 mbps linux transfer rate and a 8-10 mbps windows transfer rate but I am currently getting >1 mbps on my brand new MBP. I have it set up as i always have done ie manual ip and so on and it all works but the transfer is so slow I can barely use it.
When I use any other storage medium i have ie external usb/firewire drives i get really really fast speeds but something here isnt working.
does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong or am I on my own here?
Please help me as everything is going so damn well transitioning to my MBP from windows but now its jsut all come crashing down...
I know I could hook it up to my windows box and then transfer it to an extenrnal hdd and then to my mac but I think you can understand that that just inst practical
thanks for any help
chris

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
There are a lot of possible issues here.

• Are you using a switch, or a cross-over cable?
  • Are you trying to use Jumbo Frames?
  • With the MBP, is the GigE set up to defaults, or have you overridden them (jumbo frames, speed negotiation, etc.)
  • Have you tried replacing the Ethernet cable? Or is it the same one used in your Linux-to-server and Windows-to-Server tests?

There are a lot of variables. Can you post some information from your setup (i.e. Network Preferences/Ethernet - click on Advanced, choose Ethernet Tab, screen shot it... then Network Utility, choose the Ethernet interface (en0?) and then screenshot the Info page after a large file transfer)

also, can you describe your test. Are you copying TO the file server (i.e. writes), or copying FROM the file server (reads), or have you tried both? Are you copying lots of small files, or one large file? Can you do all of the above and report back?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.