MBP Ethernet vs Apple Thunderbolt 27" Ethernet Performance Disparity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appletechpro, Jun 26, 2012.

1. appletechpro macrumors regular

Has anyone else noticed or able to test the difference in download speeds when their ethernet connection is connected to either their MBP itself or a connected Apple Thunderbolt display?

I have a 2011 2.0 i7 15.4" MBP, and when I use the onboard ethernet port I get 28 Mbps.

When I use the ethernet port on the back of my Thunderbolt display connected to my MBP, I only get 3 Mbps.

Any ideas?

2. Acidsplat macrumors regular

Do you have any other things like USB, FireWire, daisy chained Thunderbolt devices connected to the display? I'm not sure if having one of those connected would seriously hog the Thunderbolt bandwidth.

3. appletechpro thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have no other Thunderbolt devices connected.

The only devices connected are a USB keyboard, etc.

Nothing that would come near to taking 10 Gbps...

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You could get more speed over Wifi.
    If that measurement is correct I would complain to Apple. There is nothing you could possibly do about it yourself.

5. d00d macrumors regular

Sounds like a hardware problem in your ethernet cable or the display itself (I'm assuming 28 Mbps is near the limit of your internet connection).

6. Skjetne macrumors member

I get 60 Mbps on both my mbp w/tbd, and my mini w/tbd, and 60Mbps when connected directly in the mbp/mini

7. gjwfoasfsaevg macrumors newbie

First of all you guys should clarify whether you are talking about MByte/s or Mbit/s.

8. Skjetne, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

Skjetne macrumors member

we're all talking mbit/s

9. d00d macrumors regular

Lower case "b" is bit and as an informal convention, most people usually use slightly different notation for the two (MB/s vs Mbps).

----------

Now I'm a little confused. I thought you said the MBP gets 28 Mbps with TBD and 3 Mbps with onboard.

I'd first eliminate the possibility of the cable being the problem (swap it).

Second, when you say you get 60 Mbps above, did you mean machine to machine? (60 Mbps is really low, especially for a gigabit ethernet connection.) How did you test this?

Third, if you get these problematic results only when using the internet, you might investigate your network interface configuration. Changing MTU and other low level settings (some tools like Cocktail, Onyx, etc. have options that "optimize" these) can sometimes, depending on your router and other factors, actually make performance really awful (for example, increasing the size of the MTU can boost speed on an internal network, but cause excessive fragmentation in routers elsewhere externally).

10. Skjetne macrumors member

I'm not the one with the problem. I just tested my setup as a favor for OP :)

60Mb/s is my internet speed i.e. speedtest.net

11. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

If skjetne is getting 60 MBytes/sec, I'm quite jealous ;)

12. appletechpro thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help everyone -- turned out to be ID-10-T error and all is well now!

13. d00d macrumors regular

Ha, I got confused and thought you were the OP when I posted that. Ooops.

----------

Huzzah, and thanks for introducing me to ID-10-T. I've used PEBKAC for years and never heard that one.

14. Skjetne macrumors member

You have to say what you did wrong! We be wondering..

15. appletechpro thread starter macrumors regular

I was running speedtest.net and apparently chose the wrong mirror on the Thunderbolt display, so I was seeing speed test results from two different servers. :p

16. Skjetne macrumors member

Haha! Nice one :p Good thing you didn't have to swap the display!