MBP Exchange Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mirage08, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Mirage08 macrumors newbie

I got my MBP mid January. I now noticed that my fans are letting my machine run really hot when the cores are maxed out (~105C). I don't find this acceptable and plan to exchange it for a new one. Its a 2.8 Ghz and the question is since they don't sell the 2.8 Ghz anymore will they just put my HDD in a 2.93 Ghz system?

Anyone have a clue?

And btw, how are the displays they are sending out now? I got the good one and hope I end up with the same display.

Thanks Guys/Gals.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its the same for all Apple Macbooks Pros, if you exchange it you only have a 1% chance of getting a computer that doesnt do it, and since your out of your 14 day exchange period you cant get it exchanged anyway, however since its less than 1 year old its still covered by Apples warranty so they will attept to fix it for you, for free.

Of course since theres nothing wrong with it (all apple Macbook Pro's do this) then they wont be able to fix it, however there is a software way to stop this happening, which is what i believe your looking for.

Download and install this (Fan Control 1.2)

Set the Base Speed to 2000RPM
    Set the Lower Threshold to 60C
    Set the Upper Threshold to 81C

Your computers happy now :)

3. Mirage08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow

They all run this hot? Seriously?

But, that program works great. Thanks a lot!

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Yeah, your basically supposed to install a program like Fan Control 1.2 or SMC Fan Control, i prefer Fan Control 1.2 because it automatically adjusts the fans, whereas SMC Fan Control forces you to stick with one speed which can be annoying sometims if you dont need 5000RPM when its only running at 30C.

The other advantage is that it works in Windows too.

5. sal macrumors 6502

incorrect. My MBP does not run that hot and I haven't installed any software to control the fans. the most it runs is 80c when rendering off projects. hottest I ever seen it was high 80's when the lid was closed.

mirage, where are you getting the temperature readings?

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

He said it gets that hot when the cores are maxed out, try maxing out all your cores without installing the software i suggested, and you will get those temps.

You understand what cores are right? and what multicore applications are?

7. sal macrumors 6502

wrong again. I don't get anywhere near 100c. I use fcps2 extensively and I am always rendering off projects in compressor.

you do know what Final cut studio pro 2 is right? and what compressor is used for? :D
    /end arrogance

A bit contradicting when you say things like, "Its the same for all Apple Macbooks Pros" then later say, "if you exchange it you only have a 1% chance of getting a computer that doesnt do it"

99% of computers does not equal All MBP's ...and how you got the "1%" figure is beyond me.

But since you like stats, here's another one: 99% of all stats are made up on the spot. :D

----
    I am still curious to know where mirage is getting those temperature numbers.