MBP external CD drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dave S, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Dave S macrumors newbie

I'd just like to know if I can use an external CD drive for reading and burning with a 2011 MBP OS X 10.9.5. I haven't bought and connected a new one yet but there doesn't seem to be an option in iTunes to use something other than the internal drive.

It's got more difficult to persuade the internal drive to accept a CD and now it's impossible. Tried resetting PRAM and SMC, and it won't accept a CD cleaner.

Thanks.

2. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

Sure, and you can find external CD/DVD drives for very cheap anywhere online.

Not worth trying to fix the (old) internal unit, imo. Personally, I ended up swapping it with a 2nd internal hard drive and keeping an external DVD reader for the few occasions when I needed to read an optical disc.

3. Dave S thread starter macrumors newbie

So the external will show up on iTunes preferences or something, bypassing the internal one?

4. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

yep, it will recognize it as a 2nd cd dvd drive,

5. Dave S thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have to get one and hope iTunes gives me the option.

Thanks.

6. Dave S thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, just to end this thread, the new external drive reads and writes like the internal one, and is an LG. I just have to choose which drive to use here and there in iTunes. In fact, it seems to have got rid of what I thought was a software problem of not being able to write using the whole disc, which I suppose was due to the internal drive failing.

Thanks.

7. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey