Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
last night (2nd night of tinkering with my new MBP which I really love).. i decided to connect up one of my samsung flat panel (syncmaster) 17" displays externally.

so i plugged it in using the DVi -> D15 adapter cable that came with my MBP, coz my samsung doesnt have DVi input.

it looks chunky, like, bad.... it was really rough and kind looked like it was scaled wrong, I checked the settings out and it was set to 1280x1024, 75hz, millions of colours which is how i usually use the monitor on another computer.. all fine. the 1280x1024 is it's native resolution.

it just looked pretty bad.

Could it be the DVI -> D15 cable which is causing the poor image? some sort of poor conversion of signal?

I'll be connecting up my projector to it this weekend (also a vga d15 plug) to see if it's the same.

A shame, I have two spare 17" tft's at home that dont have DVI, time to sell ?

bummer... that aside, loving my MBP at the mo, no other issues :)

1dterbeest

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
Waupun, WI
I've only hooked it up to a crappy old 21" Dell CRT
at my office, and it looked just as good as the
Powermac G5 that was previously hooked up.
When I say good, i mean they both look crappy,
but the macbook pro didn't look MORE crappy
at least!

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
okay, well i tried it on my work samsung display, again using this same dongle. the display was perfect and crisp!!

i tried it at home again, and what do u know, looks pretty good! after doing the apple calibration on the monitor it's absolutely sweet now!! strange one. oh well....

enjoying it now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.