MBP + External Monitor on Startup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benwa02, Oct 26, 2008.

1. benwa02 macrumors 6502

Thinking about getting a macbook pro and using it with an external monitor. This will be my "desktop" and probably won't move much.

So, I was wondering, with the external monitor connected and when I power on will the external automatically come on? or do I have to manually turn it on every time I boot up?

Really wanted to buy the 24" iMac but the thing is sooo much taller than my current 24" monitor that it just wouldn't work. Thinking about the 20" + 24" external also.

Thanks.

2. vorkorsigan macrumors member

When you turn on the external monitor should be already active, when I did this it selected the correct resolution and was extended to the right of the MBP screen. However, when you go into the screen set-up with the monitor connected you have the option of setting the monitor as the main screen with the dock and menu bar on it and the MBP as secondary.

If you disconnect it will all go back to the MBP screen.
    :)

3. benwa02 thread starter macrumors 6502

yea, thats the other thing... will it auto pick up the correct resolution for my 24" monitor (1920x1200) and the correct resolution for the MBP?

will it always remember my settings to have the external as the main when I shut down and boot up? everything will always be connected.

4. andtwo macrumors newbie

I am using a Gateway 24" Monitor, and my previous gen MBP was always picks the correct resolution when I plug in the external.

So far it seems to remember my last setting but I haven't tried shutting down and rebooting just taking it out of sleep doesn't seem to affect. Truth is I don't really reboot my laptop that often, at most maybe once in a month or even less.

I don't think you'll have any problems. Right now I am using the external as my main monitor and my laptop as a secondary.

5. vorkorsigan macrumors member

Hi

it does that for me, as soon as I plug back in it moves the main screen to the monitor and back when I disconnect. I have had this set up for several weeks now and it works every time.