MBP external monitor question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twalker294, Jan 10, 2011.

1. twalker294 macrumors newbie

I have a new 13" MBP and I am using it with a non-Apple external monitor connected via a DVI to mini display port adapter.

I am using the display on my laptop as a second monitor when it's connected to the external display and I like to have Mailplane on the laptop display. When it goes to sleep and then wakes up, the Mailplane window moves to the primary monitor and any windows that I had open on the primary monitor move to the laptop display, so basically everything switches to the other display from where it was before going to sleep.

Is there anything that I can do to keep this annoyance from happening?

Thanks
    Todd

2. twalker294 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I can't be of much help, I don't have enough room to use both my laptop's screen and the desktop.

But I do recall there is a way to either set both monitors to show the same thing or one to be the primary monitor.

I am just testing it now to see if there are any settings that might help. And I'm not seeing it. What I am seeing is that at least with iTunes my computer is not displaying the same behavior (iTunes stays in the laptop window when I put it to sleep). I would check to see your settings are not set on mirror display (I would guess not cause I don't think you'd be able to separate one window into the other screen).

The second thing I'd check is that program's settings since I'm guessing my computer isn't displaying the same thing with a different program, it may be something with the program (I can't tell you because I don't have that program.

The third thing I'd mess with if all else fails is your spaces settings (where you prefer each app to load up). I have iTunes set to open up in the first window (I have my computer set to have four spaces). Maybe if you mess with that you can fix it.

4. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

You can mirror your displays in system prefs-->displays, but I'm not sure that's what the OP wants. Do you want to keep the monitor from going to sleep? I'm a bit confused as to your intentions, but if that is it you can use Caffeine to keep the Mac awake.

5. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I only mentioned mirror cause I was thinking maybe he had it set to on and some how some bug was allowing him to move the app he wanted to only one of the screens.

What OP is trying to do I think is that he has his monitors set to not mirror, but to have one as main monitor and the other one as extra space. So he has his program in the extra space monitor (his laptop). But apparently when he puts his computer to sleep and then wakes it up, it moves that program to the main screen (the main monitor). He wants the program to stay in the secondary screen (the laptop).

I can't get mine to mimic that problem so I suspect the problem is with the program. Or maybe with how he has spaces set up and the preferenecs of which "space" he wants an app to open in (anyways, worth a try messing with that).

6. Mac Composer macrumors member

I use an external monitor (not mirrored) as my primary monitor. The laptop monitor is extra space. At the end of the day, I close the lid on my MBP, the screen then goes blank on the external monitor. I then power the monitor off, but leave the MBP alone, letting it sleep. In the morning I turn the monitor on first, then I open the lid to the MBP, waking it up. Using this method my external monitor remains its function as the primary.

7. FrancisDaigle macrumors newbie

Thank You Silverstring :)

Finally - the answer I've been looking for.

Thank you so much Silverstring.

Cheers,
    Francis