MBP + External monitor questions..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JHNguyen, Jan 6, 2008.

1. JHNguyen macrumors member

I just bought a Dell E228WFP monitor. So far, it's great.. not as sharp is a Cinema display, but it works for me. I have it setup so that my MBP is closed and I'm just using the external monitor.. I have a few questions:

-I used to keep my MBP on 24/7, it went to sleep whenever I wasn't using it. Can I do this with my MBP when it's in clamshell mode? I don't do any heavy work on this.. though, it'd be nice to play a game with this huge screen.

-When I go away from my computer for like more than an hour, it will go to sleep. But, when I come back, my MBP screen monitor comes on and nothing on the external monitor. I have to unplug the DVI cable from the external monitor and plug it back in, then I will get a mirror image of the MBP. Then, I have to close the MBPs lid to put it to sleep, and finally I wake it back up and it's back to where I had left it. Is their anyway to make it so I don't have to go through all of this? Essentially, I just want to the MBP to be in clamshell mode 24/7, if it goes to sleep, I want to wake it up and I want it to still be in clamshell mode.

John

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'll answer your first question. i have a macbook pro, and i use it almost exclusively in clamshell mode 24/7. no problems so far, and you shouldn't have any reservations doing so.

3. bubble27 macrumors regular

Can i ask does it play the games smoothly on the bigger screen? :confused:

Can you not extend the desktop like in windows mode?

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

When I run my MBP in clamshell mode, any time there is a Flash app or video running, it howls like a Harrier jet.

5. kingkezz macrumors regular

I use my mbp in clam shell mode with an apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse. When it goes to sleep I just move my mouse or tap the keyboard and it comes back to life. I had to click "allow bluetooth devices to wake from sleep" in the mouse and keyboard settings though.